Is She Just Dramatic (9)

"What happened to you?"

A simple question that makes the tears I didn't even know I was holding back flood down my face. I can't say that I even remember the last time I cried. Of course, there was New Year's Eve, but that was different. I was happy then, and the tears I'm letting fall now are those of hurt and frustration. Not to mention the overwhelming urge to go back in time and take back the affection I felt for Emerald, just for a few minutes. Because I feel guilty. And all that would've never happened.

But maybe I'm just being a dramatic bitch. It could've been much worse, it is much worse for so many people. It's not even like I even got hurt. It wasn't a big deal.

But it was a big deal to me.

Frank doesn't miss a beat when he closes the distance between us and wraps his arms around me protectively. "Hey, don't cry, Eve," he says.

I don't think I've ever stopped crying after hearing the words, "don't cry," though. It always just makes things worse; my crying harder. Which is exactly what happens this time, too.

"Did you get my—" Gerard appears in the hallway, but stops short when he sees me.

I look up from where I've buried my face in Frank's shoulder. I may have just ruined sweatshirt. "I-I'm sorry, D-Dad... I f-forgot your coffee."

"It's really not a big deal, don't beat yourself up about it!" Great, now he thinks I'm crying because I forgot his order. "Wait, where'd Emerald go? And what's that stuff in your hair?"

"You got it on me, Eve, what is this?" Frank asks in disgust, backing a couple steps away from me.

"Smoothie." I sniff, wiping my eyes with my hands. I look down at my palms to see they're smeared with black eyeliner. I sigh. "And Em left."

"What do you mean she left?" Gee asks worriedly. "What the fuck happened while you were gone?"

I don't want to start crying again so I take a deep breath before I mumble my reply. "Stuff." I look down at my feet. My right shoelace is untied.

"Stuff?" Frank asks, and I nod in confirmation.

"How about you go get a shower and then we can talk about this stuff?" Gee suggests, and I nod again. This time reluctantly.

I take my shoes off in awkward silence. Gerard and Frank stand still, probably both with the same, predictable questions in mind. The latter steers clear of my path when I walk by him, not wanting to get any more of my smoothie on him. Gee rubs my back in a comforting gesture as I go by.

When I step into the living room I find that we're not alone. Both Ray and Mikey stop mid-conversation to stare at me for a couple seconds.

"Are you okay?" Ray finally asks.

I just shrug and make my way up to my room. I see the two look at each other worriedly out of the corner of my eye, though.

I look even more of a mess than I figured I would, I find, when I look at myself in my bathroom mirror. My rainbow-painted door does nothing to lift my spirits today. My eyes are red from crying, other than the eyeliner smudged around them and even down my tear-streaked cheeks. My hair is glued to my face thanks to my drink, and what's not stuck down is sticking up every which way. My hoodie is a mess, too.

It feels good when I finally step under the hot stream of my shower.

Gerard's POV

Frank and I go back to the living room in silence and find that Mikey and Ray aren't any more talkative than we are. I sit on the couch next to Mikey, Ray on his other side. Frank sits on the floor for some reason. Once we hear Eve's shower turn on, though, my brother is the first to speak.