Road Trip (66)

"You packed your toothbrush?"

"Yes, I packed my toothbrush."

"And warm clothes in case it gets cold?"

"I don't think it'll get— yeah, yeah, I packed warm clothes."

My hand has been on the handle of the front door for I-lost-count-how-many minutes, anxiously jiggling the knob while Laura makes sure I haven't forgotten anything for my "camping trip" with my friends. And I mean anything.

"Do you think you could use a compass?" she asks, chewing her lip nervously. "You know, I might have one in a junk drawer somewhere."

And I wondered where I got my anxiety from.

Before she actually goes off to the kitchen to find a compass that probably wouldn't help us in the slightest if we really were planning on venturing off into the woods, I hold up my hands. "No, it's fine. We'll be fine."

"Yeah, we really don't need a compass. But thanks for the offer, Ms. Barry," Raven adds.

Right. Raven is here. Laura wouldn't let me go camping for a few days with friends she'd never met, so I settled on introducing her to Raven, told her the other two were too busy packing and getting the car ready for the trip. We wouldn't want them to forget to bring a tent, or fire starters, or anything people bring when they're not lying about going into the woods for a couple nights. She didn't object to that.

"Alright, alright," Laura says. "So, I guess this is it? You're ready to go?"

"Yeah, we're ready," I tell her, basically bouncing up and down by now, anxious to be out the door. It's all I can do not to roll my eyes at her every unnecessary question. If I knew she'd be so worried— or act so worried so convincingly— I might've just taken off without telling her a thing, dealt with the repercussions later even though I'd regret it. What's life without a few regrets?

She looks like she wants to step forward and hug me, but her feet stay glued to the floor, she clasps her hands together, and smiles. "Alright, then. I'll see you in a few days."

I'm glad she didn't try and hug me because I might've thrown her off me as a natural instinct. I force the corners of my mouth to turn up and give her a little wave. "Yeah, see you then."

Raven smiles a genuine smile, says, "Nice meeting you," out of politeness, and just before they close the door behind us, we hear Laura call, "Please, be safe!"

"We will!" I call back through gritted teeth. When we're down the steps and on the sidewalk, safely out of Laura's view, I exhale deeply and run my fingers through my short hair. Raven gives me a half smile, kind of sympathetic looking, and puts a hand on my shoulder as we walk towards the apartment.

"She wasn't trying to be annoying," they tell me.

"I know, but she was," I say as I pull off my hoodie in the heat. Laura never brought it up again, by the way, for which I'm very thankful.

Raven hesitates, then says quietly, "I guess so."

I decide to change the subject, not wanting to think about Laura anymore. "Hey, so, who's taking care of the cat while we're gone?"

"I got a coworker to take her for a few days," Raven shrugs. "She'll be fine. She mostly hides from people anyway."

"She doesn't hide from me."

"She likes you. You guys bonded real quick."

"I wish I could make human connections that easily," I joke.

Raven laughs. "You said it."

That's the last thing either of us say before we get to the apartment building and go around back to where Krash parked his car. I spot him immediately, propped up against the hood of the shiny red vehicle that's glinting in the sun. Ryder is standing next to him and they both look deep in discussion, talking with their hands and raised voices.