Don't Forgive/Don't Forget (65)

I wake with a start at the sound of something hitting the floor and nearly fall off the couch. I catch myself, though, and prop myself up on one elbow. Raven, on the other end of the couch, is still asleep somehow, with one leg dangling off the edge.

"What the fuck was that?" I ask no one in particular, looking around bleary eyed until I see a heap on the floor.

"My shirt fell on the floor," Ryder groans, sitting up and rubbing his shoulder.

"That sounded bigger than a shirt," I say.

"It's 'cause I was in it."

Krash bursts out laughing. I didn't even notice him leaning against the front door until now, his hair disheveled. He looks tired, like he could use a long, deep sleep, but happy. Happier than I've ever seen him. His dark, serious eyes even have a spark in them.

"What time is it?" I ask, squinting my eyes when I turn my head toward the window and see the sun streaming in.

"I don't know," Ryder says. "We kinda figured it was time to come back when we saw the sun coming up."

Suddenly, Raven is wide awake. "You stayed out all night?" they ask, wiggling their eyebrows. "What'd you two get up to?"

Ryder bites his lip and glances at Krash who blushes and exclaims, "Don't give them any ideas! We just went exploring. He showed me around the neighbourhood, you know?"

"More like exploring each other's mouths," Raven mutters under their breath.

Thankfully, I'm the only one who caught what they said and I slap a hand over my mouth to keep from laughing. Ryder's eyes dart between the two of us, wondering what's so funny, but Krash still leans against the door, not paying attention. He runs his fingers through his long hair with one corner of his lips turned up, looking like he's living in a dream while simultaneously done with me and Raven's shit.

It turns out it's seven in the morning, which is much earlier than I usually like to get out of bed, but since we're all awake we decide to get up and have breakfast. When I roll out from under the blanket and land on the floor, I realize I'm not wearing my hoodie. I took it off last night because it was so warm.

My arms are on display for everyone to see.

I notice their eyes scan the scars and scabs briefly, then quickly look away. No one says anything, but it doesn't stop my heart from twisting in my chest or anxious butterflies from erupting in my stomach. I quickly snatch my hoodie off the floor and put it on and when I look around again, they're all busy rummaging in the cabinets for something to eat.

All Raven and Ryder have for breakfast food—other than the half empty carton of eggs in the back of the fridge that went off about two weeks ago— is sugary cereals that remind me of the ones Gerard likes to buy. The kind with toys in the box and games on the back because they're made for kids, but really anyone can enjoy them.

We all decide to sit on the floor with our bowls of cereal. Lucky Charms, to be specific.

"Are you eating all the pieces of cereal before the marshmallows?" Raven asks, eyeing me.

"Yeah," I say through a mouthful.

"Yeah," Ryder echoes.

"Kids," Krash sighs, shaking his head, but I catch him cast a furtive glance at Ryder, a fond look in his eyes.

• • •

I go home soon after breakfast and when I get there Laura has already left for work. I don't know why she wanted me home early if she wasn't even going to be here, but I brush it off. I've decided to stop analyzing her and her intentions, assume that they're good even if I don't understand them. She left a note on the table, written in black pen, neat letters.