Do You Ever Just Need a Hug (69)

Gerard's POV

It's on day three of being in the hospital, when Frank and Ray have gone back home, Mikey hasn't left my side, and I haven't left Eve's, that some things finally change.

It's not that Eve opens her eyes. She hasn't flinched at all, not so much as a squeeze of my hand. It's something that I should've seen coming and that I can't believe didn't cross my mind before my new phone started ringing. I gave Mikey the money to go buy me a new one that hasn't been shattered against a wall. I told him anything would do as long as I had some way to contact Lindsey.

I pick it up. "Hello?"

"Hey, Gerard, it's Emerald. I got your new number from Mikey."

Immediately, my eyes go wide, to which Mikey gives me a questioning look. I pull my phone away from my face and whisper, "It's Emerald."

His eyes widen too. "Oh shit," he says. "I forgot I gave her your number... you have to tell her, Gee."

I take a deep breath, knowing he's right, and put the phone back up to my ear when I hear Emerald say my name again. "Hi, Em," I say.

"Um, I was just wondering if you've talked to Eve in the last few days? She's not responding. Did she get a new number too, or something, and then forgot to tell me?"

"Um, Eve is—" I let out a shaky breath, "Is your mom around?"

"Yeah she's— wait why?"

"Can I talk to her? It's about..." I trail off, not wanting to lie to the kid. "Can I just talk to her?"

"Um, I guess so," Em says, trying to suppress her worry, but it's clear in her voice.

A few seconds later, after a muffled, it's Eve's dad, she's handed over the phone and her mom's familiar warm voice meets my ear. "Hello, Gerard, is everything okay?"

"No, um, could you go in another room? Make sure Emerald doesn't hear this yet?"

"Yeah, of 'course, just a second." I hear some shuffling, then she pipes up again nervously, "Okay, what's going on?"

Don't start crying, don't start crying, don't start— My voice breaks, "Evelyn, um, she got in an accident. I- I don't know how to tell Emerald." I feel Mikey put a comforting hand on my shoulder and I send him a quick half smile.

She inhales sharply. "Oh my God, is she—"

"She's in a coma... We don't know when she'll wake up."

Jane gasps. Neither of say anything for a long time. We're thinking about our kids. About how much they rely on each other, how much it would break them to lose each other, and about how much we rely on them sometimes.

Finally, she says, "I'll sit down with Em."

"Thank you so much," I breathe.

"No need to thank me, Gerard. You just hang in there, okay? Evelyn is a strong kid, she'll pull through."

• • •

The second thing that changes today happens a couple hours later.

Mikey and I look up, bleary eyed after barely having slept for the past three days, when we hear a light knock on the door. A nurse pushes her way into Eve's room and says. "Mr. Way? Evelyn has a visitor."

Next thing we know, Laura Barry is standing in the middle of the room, a hand over her mouth as she looks at Eve lying peacefully in the bed. The woman is at a loss for words as she fights back tears.