Chapter : 8

The festival was always a place of unrestrained joy. The costumes lit up the night, a riot of colour to rival any gardener's paradise.

Music filled the air, festive beats lifted the spirits and made the people want to move, jump and sing. It was a time to celebrate being alive, celebrate the wonders of creation.

Wherever you looked there were painted faces and masks. The stilt walkers marched down the middle of the crowd blowing bubbles or waving as they went, the music was the heartbeat of the crowd and they swayed in time to the beat.

Food sellers weaved through the mass of onlookers and the aroma of their wares perfumed the air. The parade danced it's way down the street and to the villages' centre where the people will be gathering for the festival.

It was a beautiful night, everything seemed other wordly; heavenly. But the only thing that Sasuke found beautiful was the young woman in front of her. He couldn't stop staring at her, he was completely petrified by the beauty of the young Hyuga.

He didn't know why but he felt some warmth whenever he was with her. Her warm smiles always made him happy, made his heart warm. She understood him even though she didn't know him well and she didn't judge him at all. She considered him a fellow leaf shinobi, her friend and moreover, she considered him as someone who could be forgiven-- redeemed. Those things made him want to stay close to her and protect her.

He never felt anything like that. Not even when he's with his team which he considered a family. He couldn't figure out this emotion that was taking place in his heart and was getting stronger by every heartbeat. But he never let anyone know about it. He was damn good at hiding his feelings and emotions. He was still in his thoughts when someone tugged on his sleeve. He snapped back to reality and looked down at his sleeve and found a pale hand holding it.

He then met the pale lavender eyes which brought him peace whenever he looked into them. Hinata was looking up at him with a smile as always and called out to him, "Sasuke-kun?"

He blinked at her once and aberted his eyes to her hand. Hinata withdrew it and intertwined her hands behind her back, waiting for Sasuke for a response.

"Where are others?" he asked as he looked at his surroundings, there was no one other than Hinata. He didn't even notice them going.

Hinata responded with a smile, "They have gone ahead to see the play."

Sasuke nodded and eyed her for a moment before asking, "What about you? Why are you here?"

Hinata averted her eyes for a moment before saying, "Um... Waiting for you."
She said but it came out more like a question. Sasuke rose an eyebrow at her uncertainty and stared at her as if asking why.

Hinata grew nervous at his gaze, he could see that clearly as she kept fidgeting with her fingers. Sasuke, for some reason, liked her nervousness.

"Um... I-I thought we could go together," she blurted out in nervousness and then her eyes grew wider and she flushed deep red.

"Oh?" Sasuke smirked.

"I-I didn't mean it l-like that," she said, flustered. "I m-meant to say that I-I don't know them very well so... So it makes me uncomfortable around them."

"So you feel comfortable around me?" Sasuke asked, a slight smirk playing on his lips.

She looked at him, confused. Then she again flushed red. Sasuke chuckled at her reactions. He saw her pout as she looked away from him.

"You are teasing me, aren't you?"

Sasuke smiled but when he met Hinata's eyes, it turned into a smirk. He walked passed her but then turned and said, "Let's take a walk. I will show you around."