1~ Scrying

1~ Scrying

Nylein

I carefully guided my hands to the cool glass of the crystal ball my master allows me to use when I want to. My finger tips touched it and I lightly traced small, circular patterns over its smooth surface. Soon, everything was becoming a haze. The image I was seeing was fuzzy. I squinted my eyes a bit and concentrated so I could see the whole thing.

I blinked, then saw the vivid greens and bright colors of a forest. I was walking through it. The sights and sounds were everywhere and were beginning to overwhelm my senses. I took a steady breath to keep calm and watch.

The person I had taken over without them knowing glanced around cautiously. I didn't take over their body; I only borrowed their sight and hearing. Once he was certain no one was following him, he continued on with his stroll, though he was on high alert. He was constantly straining his eyes and his hearing to pick up anything he might have missed.

Eventually, he came to a small pond with a roaring, mini waterfall. Once more, he glanced around, then went into the water, only he didn't pass through it. He walked on it. He walked right for the waterfall then went under it, allowing himself to be drenched in it. He entered a cave and rolled his shoulders.

With a flick of his wrists, he was dry. He seemed more relaxed and at ease now that he was on the other side of the water. With his head held high, he walked through the cave, knowing exactly where he was going. Soon, I was met with the familiar darkness, but not for long.

He raised his hand high above his head and a bright, orange light lit up the cave. After going down a series of twists and turns within the cave, he dowsed his flame and pushed thick vines out of his way to reveal a small cottage with smoke rising from the chimney.

The hut was a rich, dark wood and the sun made the rain worn wood seem dull and lifeless. But this is where he is staying for the moment. He knows that at anytime, he would have to leave and never return. He knows it could happen at any day.

The man strode up to the hut with quick strides and carefully opened the door to the hut. There sat a girl in a dark green cloak, her fire red hair flowing about her shoulders in waves. She was hunched over something.

"That's enough Scrying for today," I broke connection and I fell into complete darkness. "Very good, Nylein." I turned to the direction of the voice as the door closed.

"Thank you, master." I said to him. I hope I'm facing the right direction.

He chuckled. "How many times have I told you to call me Frolyn, Nylein?" My ears caught the sound of him kicking off his worn boots and tossing them near the door. I heard him shrug out of his coat.

I tilted my head a bit. "Since the day I became your apprentice... Four-hundred and sixty-seven." I replied with the exact number. "But the polite way to address you would be Master, since I am not of the right age to be considered your equal. Therefore, I shall keep referring to you as master until I have reached the age of twenty-one and have earned my title of Sorceress."

He sighed sadly. "If only the other apprentices I had before you thought like you did. Then maybe, we wouldn't be the only two left."

"You don't know that." I said as I stood. "It was because we were so certain we had formed a peace treaty with the wolves. But with the lack of Sorcerers who kept tabs on the Elders, since they commanded us to not Scry in on them while signing the treaty, we were completely unaware as the Wolves killed off each of the ten Edlers of our species."

He chuckled softly and I heard his feet pad over to me. "For someone who can't see, you sure know a lot about our history." A hand was placed over my shoulder.