06

CHAPTER SIX

BOXED IN

⋘ ──── ∗ ⋅◈⋅ ∗ ──── ⋙

Eleven years ago

"READY or not. Here I come~" My Dad, Steve Mycroft, shouts for everyone to hear.

    Jack, my dad, and I were playing Hide & Seek, since mom still wasn't home to go to the movies with us, we needed to pass the time. I was hiding in behind a big mirror that was leaning against the two walls and was in the corner of my parent's bedroom

    "Gotcha!" My dad shouts. I could hear Jack groan in disbelief, he was caught a bit quickly.

    "No fair! I'm big, I can't fit into small spaces anymore." The 7-year-old boy pouts.

    "Come on, champ. Don't be so grumpy, since your so big I guess I get to let you a few of my 'special' hiding spots."

    "Hey!" I scream at the unfairness, then realizing I gave myself up.

    It was quiet for a second, yet my dad jumped out at me when he pulled the mirror out of the way. "Found you!"

    I laughed as I made my way out, my dad then sets the mirror back down.

    "Dad says we can't hide behind the mirror anymore. It's dangerous," Jack sneered.

    All I did was stick out my tongue and giggled, which made Jack even madder.

    "Jack's right, you can't go there anymore," Our father says in a stern matter.

    "But daddy——"
    "No more."

    I gave a huff and crossed my arms. Jack only gave a prideful grin at me and walked away.

    "Here. How about we go to the gas station and get the candy to sneak into the movies before your mom gets home. And maybe spill some spots to hide," Steve tells us.

    "Isn't sneaking candy to the movies illegal?" Jack questions.

    "Not illegal. Just against the rules."
    "Won't we get in trouble?"
    "Not if we get caught, champ."