14

3 X 1

❅ ❅ ❅

3 years ago

"Try this!"

Jack and I were his treehouse late at night.
We both usually go there to hide out when times get tough or when we just needed the alone time.

The only reason why we were in there was because Jack was always the one to be confident enough to show off his tricks.

I wasn't at all so confident in my special abilities, I could only shoot out ice and make snow from my hands; my powers seemed to not be for party tricks.

"Come on, Lux. You try it out." Jack shoved me gently, having the tiny lighting bolt in his hands being twirled between his hands.

"I-It's not save, Jack. Let's go before someone sees us," I advice.

"Lux, it's the middle of the night and a school night. No one is out this late."
"But, mom-"

"Mom is mom. Watch I bet, if we show her what we can do, she probably won't hate mutants so much."

"Why do you say that?"

"Because from what I've read of Harry Potter and Disney, 'a mother's love conquers all.' I'm pretty sure if mom realizes that we aren't the bad guys, she would stop being so angry."

"But what if-"
"Mom is going to love us, Lux. No matter what."

But what I didn't see that night was the lies Jack purposely told me.

He wanted to believe our mother could love us, love us because we were her kids.
He didn't want to admit how she was in a dark place, a mutant hating darkness that she was already consumed by.

All that Jack wanted was the love and acceptance that we both deserved from our own mother.

What I also did see that night, was our mother, Mia Mycroft, looking in horror and disgust at the kitchen window, watching her son manipulate lightening at the palms of his hands, with her phone saving the Sentinel Services number.

§

"Everything Dreamer did, she did for everyone here, up until the very the very end. She could've disguised herself as a human forever, but she chose... to live here with us, her true family." Lorna gave her goodbye speech.