17

X-roads I

❅ ❅ ❅

"Something went wrong. I wish I could tell you more, but for now, all we know is what we've learned from the police reports," Sage explained to Cate and Reed.

As the Strucker siblings and I were sitting down, listen to the conversation away from us, I was cracking my knuckles.

It was a nervous tick I had, the only reason I was on edge was because Jack on a mission, the actual mission they are talking about.

Andy noticed my nerves and held my hand, gently rubbing his thumb in reassurance.
I laid my head on his shoulder, just wanting to know what happened to my brother.

"Did they get Campbell?" Mrs. Strucker asked.

"No, he got away," Shatter answers.

"Well, keep us posted."

Cate and Reed turned to us to further explain what had happened.
Reed talked, "Guys, we got some bad news."

"Not a lot of details, but it looks like things didn't go well in Charlotte," Cate said, "Dr. Campbell got away. They had to run."

"Is Jack okay? Did you hear about him?" I quickly asked them.

"There's no news about your brother, but I can assure you that he is most likely safe," Reed tells me, not quite sure what to say to me.

"Well, we should go out and back them up," Andy suggested.

"They're two states away," Lauren reminds, "By the time we get there, it'll be too late."

"Lauren's right," Mr. Strucker agreed, "They're on their own for now. So are we."

"No," I denied, "maybe we can help them. You don't know—"

"There are people to protect here,"  The Strucker girl tells me, "When the X-Men founded this place, they didn't say 'run off whenever you're pissed.'"

"Our friends and my own damn brother might not be coming back from this. Aren't you pissed?"

"Of course I am. But we've got a job here."

I knew I was being irrational, but can you blame me?
My brother is out there and I'm not beside him.
I just got him back, I was not going to lose him again because of Sentinel Services or Campbell!