10

threat of eXtinction

❅ ❅ ❅

"Hey guys."

Reed calls all of us, his family and I, over for a talk.

"So, we need to talk, and I know it's late, but I just learned something and it's important that you hear about it from me."

"What's going on?"
"Yeah, you're kind of freaking me out."
The Strucker children ask their father.

"You know we've been looking into the Sentinel Services program that's turning mutants into weapons against other... well, against all of us here."

My body just tensed up a bit. It has just been literally a day since I came back and already things have changed. Not to mention they say to have some information on Jack.

Andy put a comforting hand on mine, causing me to lessen my tense body.

"Yeah, you were searching those computer drives. You found something?" The older Strucker child responds.

"I'm afraid so." Reed answers. "Sentinel Services have been working with a defense contractor called Trask Industries."

"Wait." Cate interrupts. "The sane Trask Industries where your father worked?"
"Yeah."

This made the two Struckers and me turn our heads to each other in quite shock.

"You said Grandpa disappeared years ago. That he ran out on you and Grandma." Andy said.

"That's not entirely true. He lives up in Chattanooga."

"That's two hours away." I noted.

"We've never even met him." Reed's daughter starts to get a bit anger.

Caitlin then comes in. "Okay, that was intentional. He wasn't good to your father, growing up."

"He's a difficult man. He was always working, he was never home. We weren't close." Reed further explains. "I got sick when I was a kid. I almost died, and... he didn't even bother to come to the hospital."

"Harsh." The teen boy comments, as I sighed to the sad story and Lauren reaching out to her father's hand.

"I haven't spoken to him since before you two were born." He was referring to Lauren and Andy.