Chapter 17 - The Final Chapter

5 years later

We laughed loudly together as we sat on a park bench and watched the sun go down. The park was desolate: me, Felix, Mark and Marzia were the only people there. We each had freezing cold slushies in our hands, and smiles on our faces. This was how we were celebrating my birthday. Honestly, I couldn't have pictured it any better.

The laughter had died down as we all stared at the setting sun, enjoying our drinks. Marzia was the first to break the silence.

"It's crazy how a few years ago, we wouldn't have even thought of hanging out with each other like this." I nodded, sipping my slushie through the straw.

"Yeah. You and Jack had some crazy issues." Me and Marzia laughed as I thought about how I used to absolutely hate her. And now, she was one of my best friends. Just like old times.

"You think me and Marzia's issues were crazy? Ours were quite hectic for a while Mark." I reminded him. His face flushed with embarassment and his cheeks had turned a deep red.

"Oh yeah...I forgot about that." I giggled, trying to make him feel a bit better.

"I sure as hell didn't forget when you got drunk and kissed me at Ken's party. And then you proceeded to follow me and Felix and break into our house." Seeing me smile put a smile on his face, knowing I was bringing it up not to be menacing.

"I hated you for a while after that." Felix chimed in and I thought about all of the ridiculously long rants he would have about Mark.

"Oh well. We put all our troubles aside, all of us. And now we're hanging out and being best buds again, like we used to do. Before all the chaos. Before Jack ended up in hospital and a couple of us fell out with him. Before Jack got together with Fe."

I suddenly remembered what it was like before me and Felix got together. When I would sit on my bed and cry myself to sleep near enough every night. When I would get overly jealous if anybody (mainly Marzia) made any sort of physical contact with him. When I used to dream about one day calling him mine. And sure enough, one day, that dream turned into a reality.

"Hey Marzia...I think we should stand over there by that street lamp for no reason at all." Mark announced. Marzia nodded and the two of them walked over to a street lamp that was quite far away from the bench we were sitting at. It was rather suspicious. I stared at them for a few seconds, before deciding to turn to Felix and ask him if he knew what was going on. Then I realised that he was kneeling on the floor in front of me.

Was it actually happening?

He took my left hand and put it in his own, holding onto it tightly.

"Jack...we've been together for quite a while now. We've been through a fair amount of shit together. It's really been one big rollercoaster. And even through all of the hardships, we've both still come out of it strong. I believe that if we can do that now, we can do that for the rest of our lives. For the rest of my life, I want to call you mine. For the rest of my life, I want you to be by my side. Hopefully you want the same. So, Jack..."

He put his hand in his pocket and I couldn't believe my eyes. My eyes were watering and I had my hands over my mouth in pure shock.

"Will you be there for the rest of my life and marry me?" There go the waterworks. I didn't know what to do, how to react. I was still. I was frozen in place. I was feeling overwhelming happiness and tears were running down my face. If I could have gone back to the past me and say that one day, the love of my life would propose to me, I would have laughed. But now it was actually happening. One word, and I would be his forever. There was only one thing I could say.

"Yes. I'll marry you."

End ❤️

that was the last book of the 4 years series. but don't worry. there may or may not be more stories to come. stay tuned ;))