28.

Layla's POV.

Myself, along with everyone else at St George's Park eagerly waited for the squad that had left for Portugal to arrive - and they were meant to be here any minute now.

Good vibes were radiating all round, which wasn't surprising since everyone was pretty hyped up with the fact that England had won against Netherlands - and that meant they were in the Nations League final which was a big deal for literally everyone. Myself included.

With the players now making their entrance, I impatiently waited for a specific face and when I finally spotted him - which was a real struggle since he's literally so tiny - I shamelessly ran to him, and he instantly dropped his bag, opening his arms which I gladly jumped into.

I'm not sure if I was hugging him so tightly because of how proud I was of him or due to the fact that we've been apart for days and I had missed him terribly.

"Jadon." I breathed out.

"It's only been 4 days." He chuckled, his arms still wrapped firmly around my waist.

"That's not long enough for you?" I questioned.

He had a point though. I mean it had just been a few days and I ended up missing him more than I thought I would - which was a concern for me because sooner or later, I was gonna have to go back to New York while his career is all the way in Germany.

He smiled warmly at me before planting a quick but still gentle kiss on my lips. "You know I missed you too. How can I not?"

We seemed to drift into our own little world, still caught up with each other and we immediately forgot that there were other people around. That was until Raheem approached us, reminding us not to get too comfortable since the team staff and coaches were still around - and we couldn't risk them finding out. That would just cause another pointless drama, and I think I've had enough of that to last me the next lifetime.

I could spot Camila standing with Joe, along with some of his friends in a distance and as much as everybody tried not to be too obvious about it, there was definitely some sort of division and tension in the team. Honestly, it was kind of inevitable with all that took place a couple of days ago. Sides had to be picked - and I felt bad because I knew that I had a lot to do with that.

This was supposed to be between only Jadon, Trent and I but no - everyone just had to get involved.

Jadon and I spoke for a while until we had to part ways since he wanted to go to his room to freshen up. On my way back to mine and Camila's, I stumbled upon Camila herself along with Joe and his usual crew - Trent and Hendo. They were laughing at whatever it is one of them said but that was until they spotted me.

Trent was the first one to leave, and the other two followed shortly after.

"So what, now I'm the enemy?" I scoffed as I approached Camila who just sighed.

"Everything literally sucks right now." She said quietly as we continued walking. "It really shouldn't be like this."

"But it is." I shrugged. "We're not in middle school, I made my decision and people should live with it." I huffed, suddenly feeling myself getting worked up.

What ever happened to respecting people's decisions anyway? They can't force me to choose Trent if my heart isn't with it.

My phone buzzed the same time Camila took out hers and we both exchanged a look at how strange it was for them to literally beep at the same time.

"London?" I muttered, as my eyes scanned the message that was on my screen.

Camila broke into a grin as she grabbed my arm and we hurriedly made our way to our room.

"Finally!" She exclaimed, beaming with excitement. "This will do everyone some good. We all need a break from... literally everything." She said, as she immediately picked out an outfit.

We had both received simultaneous texts informing us that the guys would be headed for London in about an hour where the celebrations of making it to the final will be held. And well, Mila and I were automatically invited.

I wasn't sure if I was up for any sort of partying but I guess I could use some air out of the St George's Park premises - and maybe forget all the drama that came along with it.

After an hour of pure chaos in our room, Mila and I finally finished getting each other ready and staring at each other now, we were certainly proud of the outcome.

There was a light knock on our door and she went over to open it while I made sure to have my phone along with other necessities in my purse.

"It's for you." She said quietly and seeing the look on her face, I instantly knew who it was.

Quickly double checking myself in the mirror, I then made my way to the door, smiling shyly when our eyes met. We just remained quiet for maybe a minute until I spoke up, breaking the silence.

"What?" I asked shyly, seeing the way he was looking at me.

It was making me weak and I had a feeling that he knew the effect his gaze was having on me right now.

"I'm so lucky."

"Come on Jadon-"

"No seriously. If only you could see yourself the way I see you because, really, you're breathtaking." He smiled. "All I ever wanted is right here in front of me."

You know when they talk about someone who knows just the right things to say.

We soon after made our way down to the parking lot, where most of the other guys were.

I had to blink twice when my eyes landed on probably the most lavish cars you can find. Cars that would pay off my Uni tuition even if it was multiplied ten times.

I can't stress this enough - there's way too much money in football.

Jadon and I caught a few eyes but one particular set seemed to burn through me like a flame through paper.

In the corner of my eye, I could see Trent leaning against what I assumed was his car and just like most of his teammates, he also had his eyes on us. Jadon seemed to be enjoying the attention whereas I, on the other hand, was starting to feel really uncomfortable and bothered.

With Jadon now engaged in a conversation with someone, Trent took this as an opportunity since he took a step towards me, leaning in so only him and I could hear what he was about to say.

"You think you know him?" He questioned, motioning to Jadon. "Just know that I won't save you. In fact, I'll watch you drown in your own misery." He continued causing me to look up, being met by his emotionless face.

"And what's that supposed to mean?" I snarled at him but he simply walked away.

Who even said I needed saving? And why does everyone keep doing this? First he told me that he hopes I don't get my heart broken, then Hendo says something about how I'm the one who's definitely gonna get hurt here, then my own best friend straight up tells me that I made the wrong decision by choosing the person I chose. Now this? It's like everyone is just rooting for Jadon and I not to make it and it's starting to get frustrating because he's a great guy and I know him well enough.

I snapped out of my thoughts when I felt an arm wrap around me, reminding me that my mind should be on other things instead of someone who was just trying to ruin my night before it even began.

"Shall we?" Jadon shot me a genuine smile and I nodded, letting him open the door for me before getting comfortable in the passenger seat.

It was definitely gonna be a long night.

~

A/N filler, filler, filler.