33.

Layla's POV.

Imagine your heart being broken by a guy you never even really dated.

Tragic really.

"Layla." I heard a voice call me from behind. I rolled my eyes, knowing exactly who it belonged to. "Can we talk?"

"Could you at least look at me?" He continued.

"Look Jadon, I'm not trying to have another argument this week so-"

"I don't wanna fight either." He said softly. "I know I'm your least favourite person at the moment and I don't blame you, but just hear me out."

I just nodded, having no energy to even protest. I'm just so tired - of everything.

"I'm tired too." He said and I realised that I must've said that out loud. "Layla this isn't me. And it's like, ever since I met you, I've been the worst version of myself."

"Oh, so now it's my fault?"

"I didn't say that." He sighed. "I just - look, I'm sorry."

"For what, exactly?" I turned to look at him for the first time since he got here. "For claiming to care when in reality you really don't? Or for the fact that I always have to be extra cautious around you, hoping you won't tick off like the time bomb that you are - you're so unpredictable, it's scary. Or for the fact that you literally blackmailed me into staying with you. Which one is it? No seriously Jadon, leave me alone."

"If there's anything you should never doubt, it's the fact that I really do care for you."

I almost scoffed at how scripted that actually sounded. He's so fucking calculated. "How naive do you think I am? You're such an-"

"What, an asshole?" He asked blankly. "You know, I put up with so much - all your games and dishonesty - because I swore you'd do right by me eventually. You're here going on about how bad I treated you but what about you with me? Getting with one of my close friends then smiling to my face like you weren't just with him the night before? And you want to come here and act like you're innocent? Come on."

"It still didn't give you the right to treat me like you have been and you know it."

"Yeah, maybe you're right." He shrugged. "But tell me, you love Trent, right? Now imagine him and Camila continously going behind your back like how you did with me. Forget a friend, he was like a brother to me Layla and you knew that yet you still..." He trailed off, shaking his head.

I broke our eye contact, my head instantly turning to face the floor as a wave of both guilt and regret washed over me.

"But hey, I get it." He let out a humourless laugh. "This just goes to show that I was never good enough for you from the start. You can put all the blame on me though, I'm alright with that. But you should know that I never had eyes for anyone else - I still don't. I really did love you. And before you make me out to be such a terrible person, I just wish you'd actually realise how tough this has been for me."

My heart sank and I kept my head low. I really never took the time to look at things in a different light before today.

He took a step closer, one hand resting on my hip as the other tilted my chin up so I could meet his gaze.

"All of this might've broken my heart but I guess it opened my eyes. I just, I just wanted you to love me. That's all I ever really wanted."

I had to blink back a few tears when I saw the pained look in his eyes. It hit me - I caused that.

"How romantic." Somebody commented causing me to take a step back and I turned around to find Trent standing a few feet away from us.

His eyes looked down on me, not even bothering to hide his disappointment. "You know I don't get you Layla, I really don't. Weren't you begging for me to trust you just yesterday? But here you are now, back in his arms."

"Trent it's not what it looks-"

"It's not what it looks like? You know you're acting like a guy - you even sound like one. I thought I was a player but you, you're worse than I am."

That was it. That's all it took.

"You know what, fuck it. In fact, fuck you. I'm over it." I spat, turning around to leave.

He said he was done, right? Well cool, I'm done too. It's more than okay to walk out of someone's life if you feel like you don't belong in it anymore.

~