30.

Layla's POV

Calling for the woman that was in the elevator to hold the doors, I quickly walked in before quietly thanking her. Seeing our reflections staring back at us as it started to move, I realized that it wasn't just the woman and I that occupied the elevator - and when I finally got a good look at the third person, a quiet sigh escaped my lips.

With me headed to the 7th floor, I almost begged the woman not to climb out when the elevator stopped on the 3rd floor. That's how much I didn't want to be left alone with this person.

Everything seemed to be going fine until the elevator came to an abrupt stop, causing both him and I to stumble a bit.

"No, no, no." I groaned, furiously pressing on every button, trying to get the thing moving again.

There was no way that this was happening.

Quickly dialing Camila's number, it just rang until it took me straight to voicemail and I figured that maybe she was still back at the club.

"I'll call Jordan." was all he said before taking his phone out and dialled Hendo's number.

He was one of those that weren't in the mood to go out tonight so he just stayed back at the hotel.

"He said they said help will be here in 30 minutes. An hour the latest." He spoke as soon as he ended the call.

I just nodded but I was screaming inside. Out of all the people in the world, out of all the people in this damn hotel, why did it have to be him I get stuck in here with?

This just turned to 'Layla and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day'.

"You're not claustrophobic, right?" He spoke up after a long while of silence.

"Trent there's no need for you to make small talk."

"So you're just going to keep on acting like I'm not here?" He asked as he leaned against the closed elevator doors.

"No one's acting, I just don't have anything to say."

It was hard enough seeing him from a distance and walking past him, hiding my feelings and acting like I don't care. But with us being stuck here, together, pretending to not give a shit about him is probably gonna be the hardest thing to do.

Never before had I wished to be somewhere else so badly.

"I can tell you've been crying." He suddenly pointed out. "Is something wrong?"

"Why do you care?"

"Look, whether we're on speaking terms or not, I'm always gonna care." He said softly.

"Really? That's funny." I scoffed. "So you getting back with Riley is you showing me that you care? Really? You're such an a-" I cut myself, taking in a sharp breath. "I'm sorry, I just-"

"You know what, it's cool. You're good. No need to apologise or explain. You're living your life and I'm living mine. We've both moved on."

Moved on? Was he serious? If me ending things with him was never up to me, how could I possibly move on?

"Ask if I'm okay. Just ask." My voice was nothing more than a whisper and I'm surprised he even heard me.

"Layla you're the one who asked for this. Remember that this is what you fucking wanted. You chose him. I told you how I felt, literally poured my heart out to you but you still chose him!"

"I didn't have a choice!"

"Are you fucking kidding me right now? We always have a choice!" He said before running a hand through his hair. "I'm really trying to calm down right now because if I don't, I'll end up doing something I'll regret."

Unable to hold it in anymore, I just let the tears run down my cheeks. I was hurting and he failed to see that.

"Are you really going to stand there and cry like I'm the one who did something wrong to you? You're crying like I'm the one who broke your heart. Save them for someone who actually cares cause I'm over it."

"Trent it was never up to me." I sobbed.

"So what, he put a gun to your head and forced you to choose him?"

I scoffed at how accurate that actually was but the fact that he said it so lightly made my heart shatter.

"It was either that or-" I started but he cut me off.

"You know what, I don't even wanna hear it. I'm so over your excuses."

I sighed, swallowing the words I was about to say. Even if I persisted and told him that Jadon said he'd end his career if I didn't end things with him, he wouldn't believe me anyway. No one would. Jadon never told anyone that the president of the England team is his granddad because he didn't want people to think that was the only reason he made it into the senior team. So even if I said anything, Trent would just think I'm making shit up, so why bother?

I wanted to tell him but I also didn't see the point.

"I never had plans to hurt you. You don't know half the things I'm going through, just for you and your happiness. So stop acting like you're the only one who had your heart broken." I muttered.

He opened his mouth to say something but immediately thought against it and we just stood there in silence.

If I could turn back time, I would. But unfortunately, hands on the clock only turn one way.

~

A/N
Well, cat's outta the bag.😬