{17}- One Week Past

Oh shit

Lukes escaped.

Two years ago.

That f-ing idiot. I hate his guts for what he did to me and my brother. For what he did to Thalia.

It's the sixth day of break and each day seems to get crazier and crazier. I'm a billionaire, Piper is thinking about breaking up with Jason and Frank told us that he's proposing to Hazel tonight.

I don't know how to process all of this craziness.

I've decided not to pay off my college debt. I'm going to work through it, with hard-earned work. Even one of Athena's monthly checks could have paid for it. Half of it could almost pay all of it.

I was talking with my eldest brother last night. He told me he's going to use the money to go to college and get a degree in teaching, go and be a teacher.

He didn't want to be apart of this bullshit.

Neither do I. But someone has to do it.

My father got the earnings. He cried. He told me this.

"Your mother told me when we were dating that one day she was going to die.   I was shocked and told her she wouldn't any time soon. But then she told me, home isn't where the heart is. Home is the heart. So never forget me."

I cried when I heard that. I told my dad if he ever needed anything, a reminder, he could stop by the store anytime.

It's almost time. Almost time for Hazel to receive the most important question of her life.

Piper and Leo were preparing the food, Percy and Calypso were setting the cute table outside on the beach. Reyna had come down from New Rome to visit. She would be bringing the flowers. I missed her so much.

Jason was helping Frank prepare, his best friend. I couldn't believe our luck that we set them up.

I was with Hazel. She was always nervous about dates.

"I...just...i love him." She whispered dreamily in her green dress. I smiled. They were perfect.

"Why is everyone helping set up? I mean it's not like her proposing or anything." Hazel bent over laughing. I froze in shock and tried to play it cool.

"Yeah, but everyone wanted to pitch in." I give a faint smile.

Almost time. The weather was perfect, late in the evening, a bright blue sky with clouds dotting the distance. The sun was setting, rays of pink and orange lashing in stripes across the evening sky. Even the ocean was calm, gentle waves lapping at the shore.

It was the perfect beach proposal.

At 8:00 Hazel went down to the beach to greet her boyfriend and they would sit at the two-person table on the beach. Big green and yellow flowers were in a crystal vase in the middle, smelling like vanilla and rosemary.

We were all hiding on the side of the house. Waiting and waiting. Until the moments when Frank got down on one knee.

They are the fried shrimp, even though Percy was angry about it, with the biscuits and rice. Hazel sipped some wine as Frank drank a beer. He was fiddling with the green box under the table.

The boys had gone out yesterday to pick it out. A simple silver band with two diamonds, each with a gold sliver embedded in the middle.

Even Piper approved at their choice.

Finally Frank was starting the conversation. I couldn't hear anything but Hazel seemed interested. They were finished with their dinner and...
Frank was getting up.

He had the box. He knelt on one knee. Hazel looked mildly surprised until she saw the box.

The box lid popped open.

Frank was saying something.

Hazel was near tears.

She said yes. It was a blissful moment. She wrapped her arms around his neck and kissed Frank.

Piper and I couldn't take it any longer. We've waited two years for this. We almost killed Frank when he was drunk and almost kissed another girl at a party. We almost hung Frank because he made her cry.

We almost buried Frank because he forgot that Hazel was on her period and told her to stop whining.

We raced in the sand towards them. Hazel wearing the ring on her finger proudly.

"OMG DID YOU WATCH?" Hazel squeaked in delight. We all nod, the rest of the gang looking happy behind us.

We all wanted this day to last, but they never do.

The darker ones always last longer, maybe because we fail to see the light.