{21}- That One With The Sand Dunes

Annabeth Point Of View.

I and the girls went shopping today.

And let me tell you one singular thing. Most won't believe me, even Hazel was shocked. Reyna would have been disappointed.

I enjoyed it.

There I said it.

I enjoyed the shopping. Weird huh? It's not a normal feeling.

Piper was so excited that we hit a large mall in central LA. It was a towering four sorry structure that was toppled with art and stained glass windows that depicted a beautiful sunset scene.

"Annie, where should we go?" Piper spun around in the mall plaza, a crystal fountain spewing clear drops into the humid air.

I frown in confusion. The last time I went shopping was...well a couple of months before we left for LA. Grocery shopping is my favorite kind of shopping.

Now my heart was soaring with happiness. I've never felt this way about shopping.
Maybe because before this trip I couldn't afford a pack of gum.

Now... it's different.

"Maybe the...Aphrodite Shop." I say slyly and steal a quick glance at Piper's face. It pales a little but she gives a half nod.

We need up to the fourth floor and I look down. The bottom is far enough down that of you jumped you would die if landed wrong.

The mall certainty is beautiful, I notice the little columns and markings in the wall. How the arches curve over the doorways with freshly polished wood floors running along the lines of the white tile trimming.

We head into the large department store. The floor changes to deep burgundy and the shades on the windows make it seem watery and warm.

A sea breeze, if only for a second, runs through the store. I'm immediately caught off guard.

It smells just like Percy. How warm and comforting he could be. His soft kisses and sweet scent.

It breaks my heart, even more, he's dating Rachel. It's a wonder the press hasn't found out yet. Rachel wasn't the type of celeb to just not want attention on things.

"Hmm how about this?" Hazel held up a cute green top that was lacey around the shoulders.

"It's cute." Calypso smiled.

Hazel checked the price tag and her shoulders slumped.

"No, it's not." She Grimes and put the shirt back on the rack. For a moment I feel her pain and know she can't get the shirt.

Before I can think I blurt "You can get it Haze, I'll pay for it" I give a small smile.

Hazel picks the shirt back up and gives a confused look.

"You sure Annie?"

I nod and turn to look at some casual shirts and jeans. I twirl through the racks of skinny jeans and torn jeans. I might find myself in the back, I might buy myself some new vans or converse.

I mean I can afford it.

Piper picks up a new pair of bright yellow high tops. Calypso yearns to get a new red skirt and after what seems an hour of coaxing she buys it with my card.

I don't even care.

We buy our things with my card. It's still hard to believe this won't even come close to scratching the surface of my bank account.

"So I was thinking," I say as we shop the small IKEA in the mall. The girls turn to me.

"Maybe since you know college is now turning online and such, maybe we could you know...move here to LA." I throw that growing thought out there.

They stare at me. For a second I'm uncomfortable at their looks and I feel stupid.

Piper coughs and I'm caught monetarily off guard. It's deep and hollow, a scratchy tune to it. Like a smokers cough and Pipers never smoked. Maybe once as a rebellious teen.

"I think that's an a...wondrous idea," Piper exclaimed with sudden happiness. We group in for a big but Hazel is the only one who has a worrisome look.

"Well since I and Frank are...you know getting engaged, we might decide to live together and he works in NY and so do I and I don't wanna leave you guys..." She seems on the verge of tears

What seemed like a good conversation just turned into a comforting moment.

"No Haze it'ss okay it was just a thought and we don't have to move, " I say and hug her side, and give her a smile.

We shop for the afternoon. I end up spending much more than anticipated. For a split second, I worry how I'm going to pay for this and the girls look at me worrisome.

"I've got it covered," I reassure them and swipe the card.

$1230.67 spent.

"Annie I should have used my mom's card, that's like 3/4's of your paycheck. " Piper looks guilty at the cash register.

"Nope it's fine, I've got it covered." I grin. The three of them give worrisome glances at each other but ask no questions furthermore.

I don't want to discuss it.

Later

"Hey, Thals." I smile at the pale figure of Thalia. Her black hair is tied in tiny braids Piper did the other night

I brush her cheek with my thumb and hold her hand.

"Went shopping today. For a second I enjoyed it. You would have laughed." I chuckle at the thought.

Another pang of sadness washes over me. E guards at the door keep looking at me.

"Remember the time when we were homeless and we slid down those sand dunes. And you fell face first and we had sand everywhere." I recall the old memory.

All Thals does is breath steadily through her oxygen.

I smile sadly.

I hope she won't go anytime soon.