{19}- Burning Down The House

What. The. Hell.

I'm watching the news, yeah call me old but I don't give a damn.

NYSU is on fire. It's burning. Helicopters swarm the air, smoke furling into the air.

It's burning. It's on fire. Big orange flames leap into the air, kids running from campus, screams on their faces.

"Pipes? Hazey? C'mere." I shout from the living room. Piper is in the kitchen and makes her way over with a breakfast tray filled with eggs, bacon, and toast. But my hunger isn't needed right now.

Our school has gone up in flames.

Piper sits down and focuses her attention on the TV.

"No way." A whisper escapes from her throat. She watches firefighters come and attempt to put the flame out. Whatever the reporter says I can't hear. The shock has come in ripples and the wave is about to come crashing down.

I don't know what to expect anymore. Each day another surprise. One day I'm rich, the next Percy is going on dates with Rachel Dare and our little Hazel is engaged?

It's all too much.

I'm out the door before I can even register it. I'm wearing skinny jeans and a white shirt under a jean jacket. My converse is ratty and I can feel the shifts of wind blow through them.

I'm on the streets of LA, wandering and pushing past the busy streets.

My stress levels have peaked. I can't do this anymore. I can't keep this a secret from my friends I just can't.

I need support. I need someone who I can rely on and trust. Piper is great don't get me wrong. Thalia is still in a coma in the ICU and well...I could visit Reyna. Just call an Uber to come an pick me up. It's only an hour and a half drive to New Rome.

And I'm in an Uber before I know it. The driver seems nice enough and we start to make conversation. He lives here in LA, this is his second job and is working for a filming degree.

"So have you met any actors?" I smile and ask. He shakes his head.

"Think I caught a glimpse of Tom Holland but not really. You?" He smiles. Mine wavers.

"Umm well..yeah...my ex-boyfriend is Percy Jackson," I say quietly. The driver jerks his steering wheel and they readjust himself.

"Hon don't go round saying that. Who are you again?" He squint's at me through the rearview mirror suspiciously like I'm an evil person or something.

"Annabeth Chase," I say clearly. His eyes widen a bit.

"So you really did date him? Eh better off without him. Celebrity couples are only good together because they share the same pressure with the press and work. They both know what it feels like." The man says slowly, keeping his eyes on the road.

For some reason, that comment felt like someone wise had said it.

***
Percy's POV

Shit. NYSU is now an empty shell.

The main campus is charred and broken, the oak tree where we used to meet all the time is now a shapeless lump. The building itself is now a burnt and bumpy figure.

I don't know how to process this.

I mean why? Who would burn down a campus, the news is saying that it was defiantly on purpose.

But for what reason is unexplained.

Jase, Frank, and Leo are all trying to figure out be the situation, talking on their phones. Even Leo looks nervous.

I don't know what's going to happen. Everyone received an email spring break that was going to be tripled.

That was the only good part of this situation.

"So." Leo put his phone on the countertop and gave a weak smile. "Looks like we're here another two weeks. That changes something." Leo ran a hand through his curly hair. Jason nodded. So did Frank.

"Why don't we catch some waves, maybe get a drink?" Frank suggested. The other two boys nodded.

"You two go ahead...I've got to speak with Piper about a few things." I give a shaky breath. A look of puzzlement crosses Jason's face for only a moment.

They dress and change, grab their boards and run out to the bright sparkling ocean.

I make my way to Piper McLean, who is on the covered deck of her beach home. I take a deep breath and sit next to her on the lawn chair. Her stare doesn't leave the ocean. Her deep tan matches the white blouse she dons.

"So, you going to do it?" I take a short breath. Again her stare doesn't leave the ocean.

"Tonight," Piper says shortly. I can't imagine what she's feeling inside.

"How are you going to do it?"

"I'm going to have to lie. I don't want him to know right away. Only you and my dad know." Piper reaches and brushes a stray strand of choppy braid and tucks it behind her best.

Again my heart reaches out for her. I still can't imagine how she's going to break it off with the love of her life.

"Percy." Her voice is edgy and crumbling. "I'm...scared." Piper's strong voice turns scared and whisperer.

Finally, she turns to me and I see in those beautiful kaleidoscope eyes are brimming with tears.

I look her right in the eye and squeeze her hand. "Pipes it's going to be okay, whatever treatment you have to go through with...we will be there for it."

"It's just...this cancer isn't like the normal kind and needs special procedures. I'm going to be living in a hospital for a few months and..." Her voice chokes out and buries her head in my chest.

"Piper I promise...you will live. No matter what happens...we love you so much."

I mean it.

Because whatever happens, she better live through it. She's too strong not to.

Gods Im mean aren't I?

Piper has cancer, NYSU is burnt to the ground. Percy is dating Rachel, Annabeth is rich, Thalia is in the ICU and Frazel is engaged.

Not all bad.

Only five chapters left!

Oh and whats up with Caleo? Still trying to figure something out with that.

-Champ.