00 : 00. Tʜᴇ ʙᴇɢɪɴɴɪɴɢ ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ ᴇɴᴅ

What do you think pain is?

A feeling. It's that simple. Pain being it mild such as headaches or the type of pain that could bring the toughest humans out there on their knees with tears streaming down their cheeks like they were children is simply a feeling. 

It's an uncomfortable feeling— the way of your body telling you that something is wrong with you. It can do that by either bringing about physical symptoms or causing emotional effects like anger, depression and mood swings.

No one wants to be in pain. It's one of the most unpleasant experiences someone could go through especially when it's severe. 

Is there a way to stop feeling pain though? 

Zoe recalled this certain documentary whose title she forgot. It talked about this person, she couldn't remember if the person was a female or a male either, and during a mountain climbing, they got trapped under the snow after an earthquake. 

Zoe couldn't remember how long the person stayed there. Maybe one day?  But it was enough to result in them losing their ability to feel pain on their feet. 

The person went through so much pain during the time they were trapped to the point that their pain sensors were damaged and they were unable to feel anything. 

Was that the only way of stopping pain though? Would someone hurt their whole body to those extreme levels just so they could lose all senses and therefore they won't be able to feel pain anymore? 

During her short life , Zoe experienced sorts of pains so bad that if you had asked her if she'd do it, she'd have said yes in a heartbeat. 

Later on she was introduced with "The Gate Control Theory Of Pain" which was put forward by Ronald Melzack and Patrick Wall in 1965. These brilliant men proposed that there was a "gate" mechanism to allow pain messages through to the brain and closed to prevent them getting through. 

When we feel pain, such as when we cut ourselves, sensory receptors in our skin send a message via nerve fibres to the spinal cord and brainstem and then onto the brain where the sensation of pain is registered, the information is processed and the pain is perceived.