Dᴀʀᴋ ʜᴀʟᴠᴇs.

Zoe's brain was the first to stop functioning, her heart following soon after at the sight of her mother

They were unaware of Zoe at first thanks to the massive table above her hiding her from their view for the time being. They were looking around the spacious office for something or someone until their eyes rested upon them.

Sawyer, unlike Zoe, managed to collect himself, zipping himself up. Then he stood up abruptly, the chair he was sat on flying a few centimeters behind.

His sudden movements and intimidating presence made Steve, her mother's lawyer stop in his tracks and even take a step back, his eyes now too busy looking warily at the savage of a man standing in front of them to notice Zoe.

Even Claire's eyes widened in terror when she took notice of the man, memories of their last encounter flooding her mind. Unconsciously, she rubbed her throat.

Ignoring them, Sawyer turned around and grabbed his suit jacket before kneeling in front of a confused Zoe and helping her get into his jacket, buttoning it up so nothing was showing. He moved so fast, Zoe wondered how someone as big as him could move so gracefully.

Her trembling body relaxed and their eyes met. Gratefulness shone bright on hers as she gripped his arm for support before standing up too.

"Zoe..." Her mother muttered confused, her eyes switching from her to the man. She took notice of her attire and also caught sight of the dress laying on the ground.

Then she scoffed. "All this time I was looking for you, you've been here whoring around?"

Sawyer's eyes snapped to her, fierce, dark, horrifying, his stare so intense it made her body shudder. Not in a good way.

"Watch your f*cking mouth. Say another bad thing about her and I'll make sure it's the last word you speak."

Claire had no idea how serious his threat was so she brushed it off.

Was this man really trying to protect her daughter? Why? Surely not to get on her pants. It wouldn't take much effort to do that.

And Zoe was willingly staying with him? Couldn't she see it? He was everything she was terrified of. He was everything she loathed.

I'd be lying if I said her mother wasn't surprised. Beatrix had informed her that Zoe had been sniffing around Noah and causing problems for her for a while now a beautiful day while they were drinking a cup of coffee and chatting.

It seems her daughter didn't mind jumping from a man to another with the speed of light.

She however was convinced that she'd not give up on Noah so soon but hey, like mother like daughter right?

Zoe didn't like the way her mother was looking at her one bit. Her irritation reached impossibly high peaks when she even dared to scoff.

This...this woman was enough of a hypocrite to judge her? This woman!