Bᴀᴄᴋ ᴛʜᴇɴ

Today was a good day

The sun thought so, shining from up its cloudy throne enough to blind people. The sky thought so, showing its blue teeth from smiling down at every human looking up at the endless mass of blue with a few blushing clouds flying by time to time.  Everyone in the building Sawyer currently was thought so too. Everyone was showing their white teeth and bright smiles to each other while they carried stacks of files from office to office, greeting each other, laughing at thrown casual jokes, offering to make coffee for their fellow coworkers. The kids walking beside the feet of the skyscraper towards school, some holding hands and others running to catch one another while their mothers stayed closely by talking to themselves thought so too. Even the high schoolers thought so too as they happily walked by together with their friends, proudly clad in their uniform. Old people were sat around the benches stationed in the small but pretty green park in front of the building, discussing old days while bathing on what this happy day had to offer them. Couples walked with their hands tightly locked, the boy whispering sweet crap on the girl's ears, sweet enough to make her blush, smile and giggle and jokingly push him away embarrassed.

Everyone seemed to think today was a good day. Everyone except Sawyer.

Why was everyone so f*cking happy?

The man scowled as he sagged himself against the chair, struggling to get rid of his tie with one hand while the other slicked back his messy hair. Hair almost as black and dark as the man's mood.

His muscles strained against his white dress shirt and he spread his legs, getting comfortable on the new comfy chair.

The man sighed as he planted his elbow on the chair's arm and leaned his head on his palm, his other free hand creating a tapping sound with his fingers constantly tapping the chair.

And the man allowed himself to finally relax. He allowed himself a little bit of peace as he glanced out of the huge wall of windows offering him the best view of the city. He was on top of everything, so high he could clearly watch a few clouds close by. High enough for people to resemble insects.

The man sighed again, closing his eyes shut briefly and clenching his hands into fists. He was supposed to work. He hadn't gotten anything done for days now, anything except punching bags and working his body out till his body finally gave in and he passed out for a whole day. Anything except avoiding a certain dark-haired goddess with sad eyes like she was the plague.

That and trying to get away from Miles was a full time job. Miles had attached himself to Sawyer like a damn leech after his and Zoe's last encounter. Where ever Sawyer was Miles was there. He couldn't even take a piss or even a good warm bath without fearing Miles popping up out of nowhere. It had turned so bad Sawyer tried his best to get away from the guy. It turned into a childish hide and seek and so far Miles was winning.

He had never imagined he'd say this but he was happy he had work. The only Miles-free place in this city for now. Sawyer could finally have some peace.