Chapter 9(Explosions Lead to Being Fired.....or a Better Work Space?)

here's another chapter for you all

Tony was currently trying to avoid the rest of the Avengers. He had let the Spiderling defeat him. And after teasing Cap about his failure, Tony was never going to live this down. His plan of avoidance involved staying off of the Avengers floors, and instead wandering around the intern levels. He had meant to check up on that new intern, Pedro or whatever his name was. As Tony came to the level were the new dude was at he heard an explosion. He raised an eyebrow and walked quicker to the door of the lab in question. As he entered he noticed the smoke swirling near the ceiling, it was already getting sucked into the events. Most of the inters went about their tasks as if nothing had happened. They were undoubtably used to this by now. Tony glanced in the direction of where the smoked seemed to be emanating from. To his surprise it was the kid.

As Tony walked farther into the lab some of the internes finally noticed him. They masked their surprise well. Tony walked over to the kid's table. "Well, first week into the job and already making a mess."

The kid's eyes widened dramatically and Tony suppressed a smirk. "I'm so sorry, Mr. Stark! I was trying to increase the range for this stun gun and I think I increased the electricity too much. I'm so sorry!"

Tony chuckled. "It's find. This kind of thing happens all the time, er.."

"Peter"

"It's fine Peter. But can I ask why you were working on a stun gun? I was not aware of any of those being worked on down here."

The kid flushed. "I was done with the other tasks assigned to me. And since I'm still new and can't help with any the bigger projects I thought I could work on one of my personal ones."

"You designed this?" Tony said picking up the remains of the gun. It was hard to tell with all the charred pieces but Tony could tell it was pretty impressive. Especially considering the kid's age. He was only sixteen, but if Tony recalled correctly the kid had told him that he had already graduated high school.

"Yes sir, but it's not that great. Or it wasn't" Peter said wincing as he glanced at the ruined remains. "I wasn't able to get the strength setting to work right. And the aim was still a little off. And the amount of charges was still not as big as I would have liked it. And.."

The kid seemed like he was going to keep rambling so Tony interrupted him. "What other personal projects do you have?"

"Um. Well I've designed a few helper bots. And have some neat hacking programs. Though nothing as good as you can do Mr. Stark. I have a few other stun guns as well as ones that shoot nets or shoot flames. I have a ray gun but it's still not very strong, something is off with the calibration. And a few other random doohickeys." (think of Nova's inventions in Renegades by Marissa Meyers)

"That's pretty impressive."

"None of them are nearly as good as what you could do, Mr. Stark. And a lot of them still have plenty of flaws that I have to work through. Not to mention the ones I don't really have the necessary parts to complete. Or the pile of ones I've nearly given up on because I can't seem to get them to work well enough. I mean they kind of work, but I need them to work better." (I know I get like this with school projects, it's good enough but still not up to my personal standards)

"Kid, Peter" Tony interrupted. Did this kid ever stop talking? The kid shut his mouth and stared at Tony with wide eyes. "Look," Tony started before pausing and looking around at the attention their conversation had gathered. "Follow me." Tony said turning and motioning over his shoulder for the kid to follow. They left the intern labs and walked down the hall to the elevator. Once they had entered he instructed JARVIS to take him to his private lab.