Chapter 21(Adjusting and freak outs)

Sorry it took so long to update.  I was busy wih a play

It had been five days since Peter agreed to move into the tower with the Avengers. He was still really hesitant around them, still not quite sure if he could trust them.

He was in his room working on the gadget he'd abandoned the day he left the internship to go spidermaning. It was coming along nicely. A few more adjustments and it would be ready. A knock came at his door.

"Hey, kid, supper's ready." Steve announced.

"Ok." Peter answered getting up and slipping on his mask. He hadn't yet decided whether to reveal himself or not.

He sat down at the table. He lifted his mask to his nose and took small bites of his food. He still couldn't eat a lot even if he probably should because of his metabolism. But his body still couldn't seem to handle large amounts of food. It had grown used to barely surviving on meager amounts and it didn't know what to do with all the food that was now being shoved at him. He stopped eating before he even cleared his plate and just sat back and watched the rest of the Avengers talk.

"Do you not like the food?" It took Peter a second to realize that Tony was talking to him and that now all the Avengers were staring at him.

"Umm, yeah, it's good. Just not hungry." he muttered, hands clenching into fists at his side at all the unwanted attention.

"I'm not buying that. You have an enhanced metabolism and should be eating at least of twice as much."

"I just." Peter paused. He really didn't like all the attention on him and he didn't really know how to answer. How could he say that he knew he had to eat but that somehow he couldn't bring himself to eat a lot? "I just can't." Peter finally said, the words barely above a whisper.

Tony stared at him for a bit, not judgmental but contemplative. "Alright. But I expect you to eat a littler more before you go patrol tonight."

Peter stared at him. Was Tony Stark acting like a parent?

"HA!" Clint explained. "You sound like a dad!"

"I do not!" Tony said glaring at the archer who just smirked.

The rest of the Avengers laughed, even Nat smiled.

The rest of the meal went well and Peter found himself relaxing. This wasn't so bad. He could get used to this.

"Hey, kid." Clint said and Peter turned to face him, startled. "Why do you still wear your mask?" Peter froze. "I mean, since we already know who you are."

Panic filled Peter. Tony said he was the only one who knew. The rest of the Avengers weren't supposed to know. He was a runaway. Tony didn't mind but what about the rest of the Avengers? And would they be alright with his age? Would it convince them to hand him over to Fury because he was too young to be a hero? All these thoughts raced through his head but all he managed was a weak, "What?"

He heard a thud followed by Clint's cry of pain.

"We do not know your identity." came Nat's calm voice. She was glaring at Clint. Peter relaxed slightly. "However, we do have our suspicions because Tony told us some of his theories." Nat looked at him and Peter could tell she was being honest. He could also tell that while they may only be suspicions the Avengers believed those suspicions to be accurate and were only allowing him time to adjust and reveal his identity in his own time. They were trying to give him some semblance of control. But was it really control if they already knew and were just allowing him to believe he had a choice?

No one had said anything. They were all just looking at Peter waiting to see what he would do. Peter thought. Their reasons for allowing him to believe he was in control were kind if not all together right. And if they already knew than that meant that they were fine with his age and the fact that he was a runaway. Everything was okay. He could live with this. But as sudden thought filled him with panic again. He wanted to curl into a ball, but all he got out was a choked, "Fury?"

Gladly Nat understood. "He doesn't know." Peter relaxed. "But," Peter tensed again. "I believe we should tell him." Sounds of protest rose from the rest of the Avengers, but Nat silenced them with a glare. "We all know how Fury gets, how paranoid he is. Giving Fury information on Spiderman will appease him and we can convince him to not add Spiderman to the database therefore keeping his identity safe."

The Avengers were quiet. They were all looking at Peter waiting for an answer. But Peter couldn't think. Not right now. Not with all of them staring at him. He had to get out.

"I... I'm going on patrol." Peter said hurriedly standing up, his chair toppled backward but he didn't stop to pick it up. He ran to his room, pulled the suit on and jumped out the window letting RAAJA guide him to the nearest safe location where he could allow himself to relax and think about what had just happened.

Votes and comments appreciated

till next time

sayonara peoples!