Chapter 16(Finally Someone's Trying To Understand Our Little Spider)

"Avengers gear up." Steve's voice rang through the training room. Nat and Clint walked over from the mat where they had been sparring and Bruce came into the room, having followed Steve up.

"Where's Tony?" Nat asked.

"Don't know, he's not answering his phone or responding to any messages."

"Why do we need to gear up anyway?" Clint asked slinging his bow over his shoulder.

"We have a Spiderman spotting. Fury wants us to head out."

"Like that went well last time." Bruce muttered.

"Why does he even want us going after that wall-crawler?" Clint said frowning.

"Fury doesn't like not knowing things." Nat said tucking another gun into her waistband. No matter how many times he worked with her, Clint still didn't know how she managed to fit so many weapons into that skintight suit.

"But the Man of Spider's seems innocent." Thor said, his brow furrowed.

"We have our orders." Steve said but he was frowning to.

"Doesn't mean we have to follow them." Clint said crossing his arms. No one spoke for a bit, they could all remember times when they had gone against orders.

"If you don't head out there now," a voice said coming from the open doorway. The Avengers tensed. Fury had come. "I will send other agents after him. Agents who will not care in what state they bring back Spiderman." The Avengers said nothing. They knew they had no choice. If they didn't go then Fury would send out agents who wouldn't care how much they hurt Spiderman. Or would they kill him? Fury looked at them all once more before turning away, saying one last thing before he left. "You have five minutes to leave." He didn't have to say the or else.

"Let's head out." Steve said.

---------

Tony was a block away from the fire when he saw the building collapse and Spiderman flee. Tony tried to follow him but soon lost track of where he had gone. "JARVIS where did he go?"

"Hacking into street cameras now. He is currently swinging towards the warehouses a few blocks away."

Tony shot through the air in the direction JARVIS indicated. He had to find Spiderman even though he wasn't sure what he would do once he did.

"Sir, the other Avengers are trying to contact you."

"Ignore them." Tony continued to swerve around buildings before deciding that he would probably get a better view if he flew above them. He hovered in the air, trying to spot the red and blue clad vigilante. "JARVIS, can you see him?"

"There are no signs of the vigilante on any of the city cameras."

Tony cursed. Where could he have gone? He flew higher slowly circling the block. Finally he spotted a splotch of red on a rooftop of one of the warehouses. He hovered nearby, not wanting to scare the kid. He could just barely make out his mouth moving underneath the mask. "JARVIS, can you make out what he's saying?"

"He appears to be talking to someone. I can't make out what the other person is saying. Would you like me to repeat what he is saying?"

"Yes."

Tony listened, his eyes widening at each word the kid said. They had messed up. They had messed up so badly. They were only following orders, but since when did that stop them? They hadn't known. How could they have? And they were undoubtably going to pay the price for that ignorance. They should have tried some other way, befriend Spiderman. Get to know him gradually and maybe one day he would have trusted them with his identity. They should have just disobeyed Fury like they had in the past. But it was too late for that, they could only hope that Spiderman would give them a chance to make things right.