1 - Jamie

I pressed the home button of my phone. No texts. No call. Only highlighting the fact it was quarter to eight and if we didn't get to the station but twenty past at the latest we were going to be late. If he wanted a drink then we would have to be at the theatre by that time. I closed my eyes and sighed before pulling myself from the car. I tugged at the hem of my dress, it was the purple one he liked so much on me though the black trench coat hid most of it from view. Moving carefully as not to trip in my heels, I approached the front door and rang the bell. I expected to see Dylan's mum, Poppy Benson, but instead the man who opened the door was Robert Thyme, Dylan's uncle.

"Jamie," his smooth pink lips split into a smile, "Come in."

I returned the smile politely and stepped inside the house. The green and silver Christmas theme on the tree and tinsel on the banister of the stairs was all that remained of the holiday party. Robert closed the door behind me before gently gliding my coat off my shoulders and hanging it on the banister. I smiled politely again before followed him through to the kitchen, taking a seat at the island. He returned to preparing whatever he had previously been making. I watched him agitate that pan, tossing the mushrooms as they hissed. The grey t-shirt he wore with loose fitting jeans hugged his frame as he worked, accessorised with a tea-towel over his shoulder.

"You just had an interview of something?" Robert finally said, turning from the stove to chop up coriander leaves.

"No. Dylan and I are going out tonight," Robert's movements slowed, "Is he upstairs still getting ready? I know what his..."

Robert placed the knife onto the counter, turning back to face me with his hands leaning in the counter behind him, "He went out about an hour ago."

I smiled sarcastically before swiftly exhaling, "Of course he did."

"If you are going to miss your table you are welcome to eat here," he offered, "I always make enough for six anyway."

I snorted, "It wasn't dinner.... it was the theatre. It's stupid....fuck...and Rachel isn't free either."

"What is it?" He asked.

I bit my lip, "Its nothing...it doesn't matter..."

"Jamie come on."

I rolled my eyes, "They were the tickets I got for my birthday. I've never seen Wicked and so I planned it as an early anniversary..."

Robert sighed, rolling his eyes, "That boy is an idiot." I smiled weakly, "Well I can't let you go by yourself..."

"Robert you don't..."

"Nonsense. I'm free tonight and no one is here to keep me company so why don't us two loners entertain ourselves?" He interrupted.

I laughed, "What about Poppy and Reese?"

"My sister and brother in law decided to abandon little old me for Austria with friends so I get stuck babysitting my delightful nephew," he replied simply, "Please save me from boredom."

I nodded, "I could use a friend."

He smiled, cocking his head slightly, "Excellent. I'll quickly go change."

He turned off the stove and transferred the food to a large Pyrex dish. He invited me to make myself a drink to which I simply nodded and retrieved a glass for water only. I bit my lip as I heard him ascending the stairs. I thought it slightly unfair for Dylan's parents to go on holiday when Robert had travelled from Toronto for the holidays. Despite being Dylan's uncle, there was only nine years between them. There was a bigger age gap between Poppy and Robert than Robert and Dylan. He was admittedly a good looking guy with dark shoulder length wavy hair usually tied into a man bun at the top of his head and beard long enough to arguably be called a dad beard. However, the most intriguing aesthetic of the five foot ten man were his eyes. One was a fairly bright emerald green while the other was the dark brown typical in his family. He had told me before people often found it uncomfortable to look him in the eye but I found them fascinating. The striking difference meant I couldn't pull my eyes away.