13: Tension

Tony's POV

I finish my meeting and head home, trying to calm my frustration.
I finally arrive and walk straight to Peter's room, knocking, then opening the door.

"Peter, are you aware that I got a call from your principal today, during a very important meeting?"
I looked at the kid as he slowly wakes up from his nap.

"Y-yeah..."
He mumbles.

"Now, would you like to explain to me how you had a kid end up in the goddamn hospital?!"
I tried to keep my voice down. I hate yelling at the kid.

"W-well, first he made g-gruesome comments about rumors of m-me and A-Aunt May. Then he was trying to take off my shirt at the gym t-to expose my arms. He was suspicious of why I was wearing a l-long sleeve. H-he got physical and I couldn't hold back anymore, it was self defense."

"Yeah? And does self defense include giving him a concussion that could severely damage his brain?!"

"He barely has one anyways..."
I heard him and mumble.

"Do you think this is a joke?"
I asked, sternly.
Then suddenly, his facial expression changed. Like something in him just snapped. He started crying.

"No, I d-don't. But when you've been harrassed by this j-jerk for months without end, when you've been jumped and b-beaten by this guy, you get exhausted. And I'm fucking exhausted Mr. Stark."

My heart broke into pieces.

"So we're back to being Mr. Stark now, huh?"
I sighed.

"Listen son, next time, don't almost kill him, okay? You can defend yourself, hell, maybe even scare him a little bit, just don't put yourself in a degrading situation like this."

"...fine..."

"I love you kid."

I started to leave until I heard Peter say something.

"Why do you say that so much?"
He asked, with a bit of attitude.
I sat down on the edge of his bed.

"My father was cold and calculating. He never told me that he loved me, let alone that he liked me. And I don't ever want you to feel that way. Because I do love you, very much, and If I lost you, my whole world would crumble."

"Oh..."
Was all he could say. I got up again and left, but before I was too far down the hall I heard him say;

"I love you too, dad."

Smiling, I went over to the kitchen island where Bruce was making some food.

"Hey, what's up Tony? You seem to be in a good mood."
Bruce said, stirring something in a bowl.

"Just got into a parental talk with Peter about his fight at school today. It was a bit harsh, the talk. He called me Mr. Stark for the first time in a while, but then he called me 'dad' for like, the second time ever."

"Ah... I wouldn't over analyze the 'Mr. Stark' thing. He's an angsty teenager, he might not have meant to do it since he has been calling you that for so long. How does it feel to be called 'dad'?"
He starts to pour what I assume is batter into a cupcake pan. I felt my face turn red as I started talking.

"I-it's good. I feel honored that he thinks I am I viable parent to him. I mean, it's terrifying. I am now playing the role of the man I both looked up to and despised the most. And now I have to avoid following my fathers footsteps, while also trying to be a better parent. I love that kid so much, what if I'm not what he wants? What if I can't be the parent he's looking for? W-what if I mess it up and ruin him and his outlook at fathers like my father did? W-what if...o-oh god I d-don't think I can do this."
My heartrate started rising and I could feel the blood rush to my head. My breathing became uneasy and I stood up, clutching my chest, only to then lean back on the island as a wave of dizziness came over me.

"Bruce, I-I can't breathe..."
I started to hyperventilate.

"Tony, Tony listen to me. You've dealt with this before, remember? This is just a panic attack. Use what you know to cope. Here, let me help."
Bruce then lifted my arm around his neck and he carried me to the nearby couch. He set me down, got me a glass of water, and sat across from me.

"Remember Tony, just breathe. Count your breaths, put your hand on your chest, sit up straight if you can. Maybe count objects in the room, or tap something."
Bruce quietly helped me through my panic attack, and when it was over, I was relieved.

"Bruce, I haven't had a panic attack in ages. Why on earth did I have one just now?"

"It seems as though the role of being a parent is overwhelming for you. Which is normal. There are moments when a parent questions their parental abilities, and it can be an overwhelming feeling. But you cannot let that get to your head Tony. You've known Pete for a good chunk of time, you've taken him under your wing, and you're doing what you can. And one of the best things about you is that you're willing to change for improvements, but one of the worst things about you is you set standards too high, especially for yourself, and you worry too much."

I started drinking the now room temperature water Bruce got me.

"Jesus Bruce, I know I worry too much but I can't help it."
I stood up and walked over to the now beeping oven. I took an oven Mitt and took the cupcakes out, setting them on the stove. Bruce followed and looked at the cupcakes.

"A good way to keep all your worries from building up and becoming overwhelming is by writing them down. I know that sounds silly, but trust me. Keep a journal. Hell, maybe when you're alone just speak your thoughts to thin air. It really does get it out of your system."
He took an oven mitt and started to place the cupcakes on a plate.

"But you know what should get in your system Tony?"
Bruce said. He then took frosting out of the fridge and a knife.

"Cupcakes!"
He said, smiling like a complete child.
I chuckled and helped him frost the cupcakes, and it wasn't long before Peter, Cap, Thor, Clint and Nat were all out of their rooms to come help decorate as another two trays of cupcakes come out of the oven.

It was an absolute mess, but a lovely one at that. We are all just one big family. Thor somehow got frosting in his beard, Nat couldn't stop laughing at Clint who had a cupcake in each cheek, and Bruce was helping Peter draw a frosting mustache on him. I look over at Pete and he gives me that childish grin of his.

"Ta-da!"
He said. We all burst out laughing.
Cap put his hand on my shoulder and looked at me.

"I know nothing about how to be a good father, but just by watching you- I do now."

Kgnejfheofbeocb MY BABIES ALL MAKING CUPCAKES UGH MY HEART IS MELLLTTIINNGG
I know some of you guys wanted Tony's perspective on being called "dad" so I hope this long chapter gave you guys a good idea as to how he feels about it! Thank you all so much for reading~

If you wanna see my face, my main instagram is @ corps.es
If you wanna see my artwork, my art instagram is @ foulbone

Thank you again for the support my lovelies~