Chapter 33: Goodbye

At School...
Rosalyn's POV

As I sat at my desk, glancing at everyone who entered through the classroom door before the first period began, I noticed a worried Kristen storm in and occupy the desk beside mine.

"Did you hear the news?" She whispered to me, panting heavily as if she had run a hundred miles before coming to school.

"No. Why? What happened?"

"It's Ms. Davenport. She... she's gone," she stammered.

A feeling of unease washed over me. "Wh-- What do you mean gone?"

"She dead. Stella's mom. She's dead." Her voice cracked, emotions pouring out of he eyes as she spoke.

"Are you... sure?" I still couldn't believe her words. How can someone die so suddenly? It hadn't been two weeks since I last met her.

"Yes. Mrs. Gallagher, her neighbour, let me know about it this morning."

"How did this happen?" I felt devastated, dumbfounded, unable to process the information.

"She experienced a fatal stroke, at least that's what the others are saying."

"But neither Stella nor Ms. Davenport had mentioned any heart ailment to us."

"When was the last time we sat down to have a proper conversation? In 8th grade?"

I hung my face, feeling as if it was all my fault. Everyone I care about, or used to care about... dies. "It seems as if I've lost another parent. I can't even imagine what Stella must be going through right now. Only the day before yesterday was her birthday, the happiest day of her life, and now, this. Her dad was never in the picture. It had always been her mother who was there for her when she needed someone by her side."

"I can't believe the news either. I'm still in shock. She didn't deserve it. Her daughter didn't deserve it." A few moments later, the bell for the first period rang as the teacher came in. My eyes darted to Stella's seat.

It was empty.

___________

At Lunch...

Grabbing our lunch from the counter, Kristen and I occupied a seat in the canteen. "Will you pay Stella a visit later?" Kristen asked.

"I don't think she'll be pleased to see me there."

"The past's gone by, Rose. You've changed and so has she. Don't you remember the look on her face when she spotted us at her party? She was delighted! Right now, she needs support, from her friends, which includes you as well."

"Can we join?" Vincent asked us, approaching our table, with Damien trailing behind him.

"Sure." The two of them settled down across from us.

"Damien, have you heard of Ms. Davenport?" I asked. Vincent and he exchanged an awkward glance, which seemed strange to me for a split second, but I brushed it off.

"Stella's mom you mean? No I haven't.  Besides, should I really care?" He answered me with another question, taking a rather prompt bite of his garlic bread.

"She's dead, Damien. Stella's mom may not be your priority, but Stella is, right?"

"Why do you care who's my priority and who's not?"

"Stella's your girlfriend, damn it. You must be with her in times like this, in times when she needs you by her side."

"FYI, she didn't contact me all day yesterday, alright?"