Chapter 24: Love. Be Afraid.

4 days later...
Rosalyn's POV

"You know, life seems a lot easier without all that monster crap," Kristen said.

"Yeah," I replied, deep in thought.

"What's wrong?" She placed a hand on my shoulder.

"It's just... everything seems fine now. No monsters. No darkness. No deaths."

"But that's good, right?"

"... Maybe, or it may only be the calm before another storm." Shutting my locker door, my eyes fell on Vincent, who was also doing the same. Glancing at me, he passed a sly smile as the corners of my lips curled up into a slight smile too.

"Keep that pessimistic stuff aside. Now, tell me, is it official yet?"

I passed a confused look at her. "What? I-- I don't know what you're talking about..." My cheeks turned crimson.

"Stop being such a mood killer, Rose! We've being friends since preschool. We've never keep secrets from one another. I know your feelings are mutual, then why won't you just admit that you love him?"

"Kristen!" I hushed her, "There are no declarations of love coming any sooner. Besides, I'm just gonna focus on my academics now. College next year, remember?"

"Yeah, yeah, fine, whatever you say." The two of us chuckled all the way to our history classroom.

"Good morning, students," professor Whittemore entered the class a few minutes later, "Let's get started on our topic for today." Grabbing a chalk, he wrote four words on the board in bold and clear letters. "The First World War. Can anyone tell me the time period of this War?" A few students raised their hands. "Yes, miss Davenport."

"The First World War lasted for four years, from 28th July 1914 to 11th November 1918." She answered proudly.

"Yes, that's right." Suddenly, he grabbed his head, grunting in pain.

"Professor Whittemore, are you alright?"

"Ye-- Yes. I'm... fine. Just a sudden headache." He began writing on the board, but it wasn't something we had expected. It was a word in some foreign language."

''الجن'

"Uh... professor, I'm pretty sure we aren't in an Arabic class," Stella remarked.

As her words reached his ears, professor Whittemore shook his head, before finally snapping out of his thoughts. "Oh, I-- I'm sorry..." Grabbing a duster, he rubbed off the chalky surface, after I captured a picture of the text right in time, although I didn't know why.

Once the class was over, I walked over to professor Whittemore's desk.

"Rose?" Kristen called me from outside the door, motioning me to follow her to the canteen.

"I'm coming. Grab a seat for me." She shrugged before leaving. "Professor?" I placed a hand on his shoulder.

He raised his gaze to look at me. "Miss Silverhawk."

"Are you really fine?"

"I am. Wh-- Why do you ask?"

"After what happened in class today, I'm pretty sure something's troubling you." Gaining a closer look at his face, I noticed the deep, dark circles under his eyes. "You aren't getting adequate sleep! How much have you been sleeping lately?"

"12 hours."

"Per day?"

"In four days."

I was struck by a thunderbolt. "What? Oh my God..."