Chapter 26: This Might Hurt

Rosalyn's POV

"So how does this work exactly?" I asked Amber as she set up two chairs in the living room next to each other.

"I'll form a blood bond between us to ensure that you can get into my mind and that I can confuse you. Once you're in my mind, you'll find yourself before various doors- doors to my memories, or maybe, memories of your own which have been buried under sheets of subsequent events. Anything can happen."

"How long will it last?" Sheriff Martinez asked.

"Long enough till she's ready," Amber replied, pulling out the engraved marlinspike from a nearby drawer. Gripping it tightly in one hand, she made an incision on the palm of the opposite one, drawing out warm blood.

Once the cut was made, she handed over the marlinspike to me as I did the same, wincing slightly in pain. Next, we joined hands, our blood intermixing, bonding us internally. We occupied our seats. "Rose are you sure you want to do this?"

"I told you Amber."

"Consider it again. I won't go easy on you once you are in there. You may discover some traumatising and grim stuff. Do you think you can handle all of that?"

Sucking in a deep breath, I nodded. "I am."

"Are we supposed to pull you out if something happens?" Kristen asked.

"At no cost should anyone of you do that. I'm giving her access to my thoughts, and only I can close the portal."

The others inclined their heads in agreement.

"Ready?" I nodded. "Close your eyes and focus." I did as I was told.

After a few moments of dullness, I felt my surroundings dissolve into thin air, the sticky liquid on my palm binding me to Amber felt warmer with each passing second. I could feel her better than ever. The blood gushing through her veins, her hair dancing slightly in the cold breeze... everything!

"Rosalyn..." A light surge of wind whispered my name, calling me in. "Rosalyn," It repeated, "open your eyes."

Suddenly, I couldn't feel Amber near me anymore. I opened my eyes, in the hope of finding myself in the same room, but instead, I found myself in a dark space, surrounded with portals to different events, channels to Amber's memories, all calling out her name in different tones, expressing discrete emotions. I stretched out my palm to touch one of the hollow mirror portals, as I felt myself falling into space, down a memory lane...

_______________

"Do you really have to leave?" My mom asked as she carried a baby in her arms. It was me!

"I do, Sapphire. I don't want anyone of you to suffer because of me, and once Rose grows up, she'll forget about me. Her memories will fade away. You can't be the martyr at all times. Sometimes, the sidekicks have to make sacrifices too." A young Amber replied, wiping a single tear off her face.

"You were never the sidekick, Amber. You deserve your own movie!" The sisters chuckled. "We'll be in contact, I promise. Rose would've loved an aunt like you, someone so stubborn and determined. You would've been her role model."

"I'll be there for her when she needs me, but right now, me staying here with you will only lead to more trouble."

"I get it."

Glancing at the nearby wall clock, Amber said, "I should get going." She hugged my mom and gave me a light kiss on the cheek. "I love you, munchkin."