Chapter 28: Can't Go Back

Jon Martinez's POV
The next afternoon
At the Sheriff's Station...

"Hand over these files to Detective Flores. See if he can find anything suspicious," I ordered deputy Clarke.

"As you say." Taking the files away from me, she walked away.

Once I felt that the scenario at the Station was at ease, I decided to take a coffee break. Right when I was about to pull open the door to my cabin, another deputy called out my name, "Sheriff!" Turning around, I met two people, one of them an officer, while the other was a pretty strange guest.

"Mr. Whittemore?" I walked up to them, turning to deputy Donovan, "What's wrong with him?"

"He wanted to meet you."

It was then that I noticed his deep, sunken eyes, his stubble cheeks, as if he hadn't shaven in ages, his messed up hair, uncombed and unclean. His lips were dry and chapped and a foul smell emitted from his age old clothes. Nodding at deputy Donovan, I took the matter in my hands and asked him to leave. "Mr. Whittemore, why did you want to see me?"

"I-- I..." He stuttered while looking around himself, as if forcing out those words from his mouth with great difficulty.

"Alright. Let's sit in my cabin and talk." Grabbing him gently by the shoulders, I led him into the room and closed the door behind me. Taking the seat across from him, I placed my hands on the desk. "What happened, Mr. Whittemore? What's bothering you?"

"It's about what... Amber told me the other day. She thinks I'm possessed by some spirit."

Sighing deeply, I said, "It's correct that you're possessed, but not by some spirit."

"Then what is this thing inside me?" He yelled in exasperation.

"Amber suspects that it's a Yako that has been infiltrating your mind."

"A Japanese fox-spirit?"

"Yes."

"Where is she now?"

"Amber and Rose are in Japan, to retrieve the Akuma-dōri,  a plant that can cure you of the Yako's control."

He nodded deeply, his gaze never leaving the desk, before he finally spoke up, "I need you to do something, sheriff."

Narrowing my eyes at the grim mention of me, I asked him, "What do you need my help with?"

Leaning onto the desk, he said, "I need you to put me in a cell."

"Wh-- What?" I was bewildered at his words.

"The Yako will try to overpower me, to drive me crazy. Being behind those iron bars will keep me from harming you, otherwise, I won't even know what I'll be doing next. Please, Sheriff. I am requesting you..."

Considering his heartfelt request, I noticed the slightest bit of confidence in his tired eyes, one that brightened him up. "Alright... I'll lock you up."

"Thank you for getting my point."

"It is what it is." Opening the door to my cabin, I called in an officer. "Deputy Clarke, put Mr. Whittemore in lockup for the night."

She gave me a confused look before glancing at the dark-haired man behind me. "What crime has he even committed?"

"Please don't ask any questions right now. Just... do as I say."