Chapter 19: Remember

Rosalyn's POV

"Help me..." A voice, from deep within groaned. "Please... They'll kill me..." I turned in every direction, only to find blood. Pools of blood, seas, oceans, filled with the crimson liquid. The metallic smell strained my nostrils as I felt a suffocation seize me. I looked down at my hands. They were stained with the stenchful fluid. And then, I looked at my stomach. A slit ran across my skin as blood continued to flow out through the cut like a never- ending stream. Fangs bit into my neck, snakes crawling up my legs, claws scratching my back. The pain, the agony, the fear... everything, when suddenly, I realised where the voices were coming from.

They were coming from inside me. The terror, the horror- it was all in me, and I couldn't fight it any longer.

"You can't save them all." A distant feminine voice whispered, "you have to make a choice."

"I... I can save them. I can protect all of them." I argued back.

"You can't. Freedom comes with a price. Love comes with a price. Life comes with a price. Everyone has to pay it. You can't escape fate." The voice continued.

"No... you're lying. No one will die!" I let out a final scream, loud enough to make your bones rattle, your spine chill, and your heart go silent.

___________

"Rose? Rose? Wake up!" A hand patted my back. Opening my eyes, I noticed Amber hovering over me. "Were you having a bad dream? I haven't seen you blabber so much before."

"Wh...What was I blabbering about?" I sat up on my bed, wide awake this time.

"You were telling that you will save them all. Who are they?" My face fell as I remembered the nightmare I just experienced. Amber placed a gentle hand on my stiff shoulder, "Is this about yesterday?"

"... I guess? I just can't get over the fact that I was right there and that I couldn't help an innocent. Ryan didn't deserve to die. No one does," I held my face in my hands.

"Birth and death binds the world together. It is the one thing, rather two that help us realize that we are all woven from the same thread called life and that the path ahead is the same for everyone. For some, the thread of life might be shorter than others, but does giving up your own thread help theirs to get back together? I understand that you feel guilty. I do too, but I've seen way too many people die, professionally and personally. I've been in your shoes, I still am to some extent, but right now, all we need to focus on is keeping our thread of life from tearing, and letting others do the same."

I nodded. "I-- I get it."

"Rose, you may have a lot of burden on your shoulders right now, but teamwork is a better option at all times. I suggest we have each other's back, help one another, be each other's support. All I have in this world is you and vice versa. Let's stick together and kick some asses, alright?"

A smile broke out on my face at her last line. "Fine, let's do this."

"That's what I'm talking about! Now, get ready, I'll drop you off."

_____________

During Lunch...

"So, we don't know who the Wendigo is, and it doesn't know who it is either, right?" I asked professor Whittemore as my friends and I gathered round one of the counters in the Chemistry lab.

"Yes," professor Whittemore nodded.

"But there must be something that links that person and the Wendigo in general, right?"