Chapter 12: Envious

Rosalyn's POV

Noticing Vincent sitting one of the counters right at the beginning of chemistry, I rushed upto him before anyone else could. A second later, Melanie headed our way as if she hadn't noticed me there. "Sorry. Seat's taken." I plastered a guilty smile on my face.

"You don't have to worry about it." She smiled back before occupying another seat at the back.

I turned to Vincent, "Hey."

"Hi."

Before we could talk about anything else, professor Vanderwal entered the lab, "Good morning students. Today, you'll be conducting a number of group experiments once again. I'll be dividing you into groups of two and you have to work collectively to determine what the salt solution given to you is. Team members will swap their positions every five minutes. Alright, first up, Miss Hawthorne..." A number of students raised their hands at the mention of her name, "I didn't ask for hormonal volunteers. Miss Silverhawk, join Melanie at the first station."

I felt a knot in the pit of my stomach while making my way to the first counter before standing alongside Melanie. Grabbing the test tubes and flasks, I noticed Melanie staring me down from the corner of my eye, "A little help will be appreciated."

"I'm sure I can give you a lot more than what you want me to," she approached me slowly.

"I'd keep my distance if I were you."

"From you or your friend over there," she motioned towards Vincent.

"... Both."

"You should've understood by now that mere warnings don't threaten me. Besides, you have no clue of what I would like to do with Vincent- the places I would like to touch, the places where I would like to kiss..." She let out a slow and faint moaning sound as my hold on a test tube tightened, which I'm pretty sure would've shattered in my palm if the professor hadn't announced that it was time for the partner swap.

I left without a word for the second counter next to Stella, "How's your leg?"

"I can still walk, if that makes any sense."

"Sufficient enough," I started carrying out the experiments.

"If I were in your place, I would have claimed my man," she said abruptly after a pause.

"... What?" I noticed her gaze at the station before us, rather beneath the table, where Melanie's hand crept up Vincent's thigh. I refrained from watching any further, focusing on my work.

"I know you're jealous. Seeing her around Vincent isn't something you must prefer."

"I don't know what you're talking about," I replied coldly, not daring to look up from the desk.

"It is okay to admit your feelings once in a while. If I were in your shoes, I would've slapped the crap out of that disgusting little hand," she sneered.

I could not help but look up. Melanie stood awfully close to Vincent, her eyes fixed on his still lips. I felt something inside me crack. A rush of anger surged through me. Suddenly, the test tube on the rack next to me started shaking. I was losing control. I ran for the washroom, "Sorry, it's urgent," I excused myself from the class.

Inside, I stared at my reflection in the mirror, clasping both the sides of the white sink below. I scowled at how weak and helpless I looked and that's when a memory resurfaced.

____________

A few nights ago...

"That night, at the party, when I felt too many depressing emotions at once, something happened. The street lights next to where I was standing, cracked. Was that because of my... powers?" I asked Amber.