Aftermath

.•.

It had a week exactly since the traumatic day of battling demodogs, closing gates and burning vines and Violet was ready to return to her life but it wasn't that simple

It had a week exactly since the traumatic day of battling demodogs, closing gates and burning vines and Violet was ready to return to her life but it wasn't that simple. It never was. Her and her brother had stayed in the house for two days- just recovering and spending time with each other. Dustin went back to school on the Monday as that's when all the boys, other than Will, were going back but on the other hand Violet didn't want to leave the house- she wanted to regain her strength and let her wound heal (which after a few days it  had, only leaving a scar). But eventually it was time to leave the house and Violet had a lot of catching up to do. First she needed to talk to Steve about their kiss, second she needed to talk to Billy about that whole night and third she needed to sort shit out with her friends who she had missed. It was now Thursday and Violet decided it was time to go back to school so she had rung Steve to come and pick her up (Jonathan was no longer able to pick her up due to having to drive to the Wheeler household to pick Nancy up).

Violet and Steve were currently parked up at school not wanting to leave the sanctity of the warm car just yet plus it was slightly awkward considering the two refused to talk about the kiss they shared.
"How's your face doing" Violet asked glancing at Steve's face which was still purple but wasn't as swollen as it was that night...
"It's fine- it's healing. People have managed to catch on that me and Billy were in a fight considering his face is also bruised but I've just been telling people it was over basketball and I think he's been doing the same" Steve explained looking down at Violets face noticing that the scratch was no longer there "that healed quick" he pointed out
"Yeah I know it's weird- my sides like that as well and it's just beginning to scar." Violet muttered still not being able to wrap her head around how she had healed so quickly.
"Maybe it wasn't as deep as we thought" Steve offered a weak smile.
"Maybe..."
The car fell silent and usually it was a comfortable silence but this time it was of course awkward. They both knew why it was awkward but they couldn't bring them self's to talk about it. To talk about the kiss. Violet didn't think that kissing her friend would feel good but it did- it didn't feel weird in the slightest. But after having the time to think about it for days she decided that it wasn't a good idea for her to start anything to Steve for multiple reasons. Reason number one: Steve had just got out of a long term relationship with Nancy he probably needed time to himself for a while. Reason number two: Nancy, Violet loves her they were like sisters and it would be weird to go out with your sisters ex boyfriend. And even though Violet had told Nancy about what had happened between the two and she said she was okay with it, Violet sensed that she was secretly upset and slightly angry at her. And then there was reason number three: Violet and Steve were best friends, if they decided to take a risk and take it further would it mess up their friendship if things went wrong? It might do... and that was a risk that Violet was too scared to take (she loved and cared for him way to much to lose him). Finally reason number four: the worst reason, the stupid reason, the too horrifying to even think about it reason... Violet quickly pulled out of her thoughts managing to build up the confidence to confront the elephant in the room- in fact the car.
"Listen Steve we need to talk about it" Violet stared and Steve slowly turned his head to face her a scared look falling on his face. Steve thought the same things as Violet and he knew he wasn't ready for anything serious but he couldn't deny his feelings for Violet. He also knew that she currently had this unspoken thing with Billy Hargrove and there was no way he was going to dive himself into another love triangle- not when he had just gotten out of one.
"Talk about what?" Steve tried to act oblivious
"The kiss Steve" Violet sighed
"Oh yeah... it was nice- I mean it was really nice but I have just come out of a really long relationship and you- well your perfect Violet. Your my best friend and the person I trust the most in the world I don't want to screw that up- so if we were ever to do this" he said gesturing between the two "the stars would have to align perfectly"
"Who knew you were such a poet" Violet chuckled causing Steve to smile with her "but your right we need perfect timing for this to work and right now is a shitty time" Steve nodded along with Violet as she spoke "but... we have the real shit- shared trauma so no matter what we will always have each other, even if it isn't in that way"
"Always"