Hello, Shogi

Kai pov

"Am I really the perfect target for this!!" I pout crossing my arms as Asuma points towards the left.

"You are a taijustu user aren't you? It's great practice if Ino gets you considering your moving as she performs the jutsu" Ino raises her thumb while winking "don't worry one try is all I need."

I sigh "fine."

We both stand about 25 feet away and we both look at Asuma sensei signal. He nods his head and I run straight for her. Her mind transfer jutsu could either fail or succeed. As a pain this is , it's actual good practice.

She makes the yin sign ready to target me. I move as fastly as I can enough for her not to get-

"Mind Transform Justu!" she yells and soon the jutsu aims for me , but I dodge it nearly by arching my back.

As she completes it soon she begins to fall back and Shikamaru catches her before she hits the ground.

I smile in relief and glance to Asuma "this is going to be harder than I thought.."

As useful as this justu is , I'm not sure if it will help. She'll just hold us back from the action.

"Kai something on your mind" he says. His sharp as ever.

I glance to Ino's body who's still unconscious.

"It's just that if this fails wouldn't this hold us back... I mean Shikamaru would just be burden by this and Choji needs Ino for it to go right" I say and everyone begins to look away.

"Your right... but you can't think like that. That's why as her teammates you all should have another plan to help her out with while she's like this" soon Ino begins to open her eyes , while rubbing them.

"Let's go again. Ino can you perform it once more?" Asuma says determine to get her to do the jutsu.

Later~~

As training ends the result ended the same and Ino failed to get me. As we pack up to leave , Shikamaru whispers over to me "you might be in trouble.." glancing right behind me.

I eagerly take a glance behind me "what why do you say-"

I see Asuma standing in front of me and Shikamaru. "Kai before you go let's talk".

I gulp sometimes when Asuma sensei says it in that tone it kinda scares me I sigh.

I wave bye to Shikamaru and I walk with Asuma sensei.

The air fills with silence and I take breath "so sensei what did you-"

"Have you played Shogi?" my eyes widen from his response.

"No. But I know it's a two-player board game.." he nods his head.

"Close it's a strategy board game one that I want you to learn right now. I have it at home I want you to play it with me" my eyes widen.

A board game?

Does he think I'm a child or something. I nod my head in agreement. What's a game board going to help with.

As we sit down with the game in front of me , it already looks complicated. Maybe it isn't as easy as I thought..

"Sensei are you going to give a.. I don't know a rules and handbook?" I glance at each piece knight , pawn , king-

"Here" he gives me a worn out handbook I flip through the pages as fast as I can and it might be easier than I thought. I look at him "give me less than 15 minutes and I'll get the game down" I say.

He gives me a smile with nod , and I get to reading.

Time passes~~

I place the silver general in front of the King.

My eyes widen and I chuckle I won , and soon sensei looks surprised as well "I guess I lost" he looks down.

Isn't he experienced he just let me win "you didn't have to hold back Asuma. Still the game was fairly easy why.." I stop for a moment as he looks at me in such a serious way.

"I didn't expect the silver general though" he rubs his chin.

"I just followed the rules and one rule was any soldier can break through the front lines..." I say smiling proudly.

But his reaction looks a bit disappointed.. "sensei did I do something wrong?"

"No. It's just you used the technique to deal great damage in the front line but in exchange to sacrifice your own pieces."

I saw no reasons why not to do it maybe there could have been a better way for him.

"I had a little gut in my feeling through out the game you would have done this. A strategy I don't like using" I knew he would have felt that way.

I chuckle nervously "it's just a board game don't get to carried away haha-" I stop for a brief moment and watch his reaction still observing the pieces.

"I guess so for you. But is sacrificing pieces to get to your goal good.. just to inflicting damage the best strategy. It might be natural for you to lose pieces during the game but to consider throwing away your pieces easily isn't so easy. I guess I can't detach my self to do it.." I never thought of it like that.

Just like for my teammates..

Ino

Choji

Shikamaru

Asuma sensei

Can stupid tactics, that I suddenly make get us killed? I pick up the king piece and I stare at it "maybe I was making rash decisions.. sorry."

Asuma smiles in relief and gives me a small clap "glad to hear you learned something.. how about it.. another game?"

I begin to place the pieces in the order they are supposed to be in "I'll find another strategy.. but don't hold back I want to find the right answer sensei.."

He crosses his arms "you've asked for it remember.." he says.

"So sensei you and lord third how-"

Before we knew it time passed by quickly and I lost about every match we had. That was a day to remember , and a lesson I won't ever forget..