2

"Can I come over, pretty please?"

On the other end of the line, through a crackle and a bit of rustling, Niall huffed out a groan. To be fair, it was 2:00 AM and Harry was asking him to get out of bed to unlock the door and let Harry use his shower. And then maybe cuddle him until he fell asleep.

"Alright, fine. But I have a favor to ask of you."

The February temperatures in New York City were unforgiving. Winter wind blew straight through his Saint Laurent shearling coat, the one he received as a thank-you for spending a weekend in Hong Kong with an alpha on a business trip last year. He was shivering so violently his entire body was shaking. A stupid side effect of being omega was that his body was bad at regulating temperature and maintaining homeostasis, giving him a particular sensitivity to the cold.

It was a stupid idea to live in New York. Not for the first time, he asked himself why he chose this city in the first place. Realistically, he could live anywhere. Any big city had rich alphas who would be more than happy to "date" him and pay him for his troubles. When leaving home, why hadn't he chosen somewhere warmer than New York?

"What is it?" Harry asked, after a long pause of forgetting he was still on the phone with Niall. It wasn't snowing so much as icing, tiny shards of icy snowflakes pelting him in the face. Not only was it frigid outside but he was also worried about being mugged or shot or kidnapped because it was the middle of the night and he was an omega in a big city. Shit happened. He walked faster despite his soreness and the wind pushing against him.

"I'll tell you in person," Niall said. "You'll like it, though."

"Alright," Harry agreed, because he was tired and wishing Michael had been a nicer, more caring alpha because in that case he probably would've paid for a taxi for him, or at least made sure he got home safely. Honestly.

Niall was quiet and Harry was concerned he fell asleep.

"Niall?"

"Yeah, pet?"

A tiny pressure of worry released in his chest. On nights like this, it was easy to feel alone.

"Stay on the phone with me?"

"Of course."