8

"Harry... Harry..."

There was something prodding his shoulder. It was a gentle nudge that roused him from sleep, and he blinked languorously, opening his eyes.

"Ah, there you are. Good morning. Sorry to wake you, I just have to leave for work soon, and I wanted to tell you I'm leaving a key on the countertop for the car in the garage. You're free to take it wherever you like."

Harry blinked up at Louis standing over him and gave him a sleepy smile. He was so comfortable, swathed in the softest sheets he had ever felt before, surrounded on all sides. Sinking into the bed. He was sprawled out in the middle of it, too, taking up a lot of space. Hopefully he hadn't annoyed the alpha too much last night. He had been in a deep sleep, the kind that left him incredibly satisfied.

It was then that Harry smelled the hint of his arousal in the air.

Oh. The alpha's scent grew thicker, and even more pleasing. Louis shook his head as if to shake himself out of the way he was staring at Harry lounging in his bed.

It was then that everything they'd discussed last night flew out the window.

Harry's heart beat a little faster as he propped himself up on his elbows and spread his legs invitingly. Louis looked away as soon as he did that and finished getting dressed, buttoning his shirt the rest of the way, tucking it in, and buckling his belt.

Harry was conditioned to react to the sound of a belt buckle clanging, seeing as it was a sound he often heard before getting an alpha's knot, but this time the situation was different.

He bit his lip as he watched the alpha straighten out his collar, using the mirror for guidance. "You don't have to leave so soon, do you?"

"I do, actually, sorry."

"Even with a willing omega in your bed?" he asked hopefully, propping himself up more and trying to look as appealing as possible. He even slipped a long leg out from under the sheets and put it on display.

Louis' eyes didn't even linger on him, but he did rush over to give him the quickest embrace on earth. It was hardly a hug, and more of him cupping the back of Harry's head briefly. That was a protective gesture—something alphas only did with their mates, or pups. Harry's jaw nearly dropped to the floor.

Louis backed away again, making for the door. "Sorry, you're lovely, but I've really got to go."

"At least let me make you breakfast?" Harry tried, one last attempt at keeping him here longer. He wasn't sure what had gotten into him, but Louis' intoxicating scent of arousal in the air certainly had something to do with it. He wanted to beg one last time, to promise that they had enough time for one quick round before Louis had to leave for his meeting.

God, when did Harry get so clingy? He had no idea, but he was horrified by himself.

"I'll get something on the way, I really have to go," Louis explained apologetically. "Tomorrow, though?"

"Okay," Harry agreed, voice tinged with reluctance and disappointment. He knew better not to argue with an alpha.

"Go back to sleep," the alpha coaxed, "It's still early. I won't be home until dinnertime, but call me if you need anything. Help yourself to anything in the house, and feel free to take the car if you want. And if you want to eat in for dinner, text me and I can pick up something from the store. Otherwise we'll go out?"

"Okay."

"Sick. I'll see you later."

"See you."

Harry waited until he heard the car start before he flopped back down into bed, letting the fluffy blankets swallow him.