39

As calm as Louis had been when he left the room, the moment of peace brought by a safe and satisfied omega in his bed quickly fled and was replaced by agitation. He felt unstrung, almost feral, as he paced the small strip of hallway in front of the closed doors of the master bedroom.

The aching hardness in his jeans was impossible to ignore. It was torture knowing a willing omega was just on the other side, and had already been pleading for him. The doors weren't even locked, Louis knew, because there was no way Harry got out of bed just yet. And here he was, standing in the hallway, trying and failing not to lose his mind.

He ended up sinking down onto the floor in front of the french doors, his back against the wood as he fumbled with the buckle of his belt. This was a bad idea. All of this was a bad idea. He shouldn't have touched Harry, he shouldn't have let him sleep in his bed the past few nights, and, most of all, he should never have agreed to host an omega in his stupid beach house just because Niall asked at the right time, when he was feeling a dangerous combination of charitable and lonely. Stupid Louis, always taking things too far, ruining everything with his lack of self-control.

The storm outside matched the storm inside, and with another crack of lightning that shook the house to its skeleton, he heard Harry jump from fright and bang into a hard surface, the resounding "ow," just loud enough for Louis to hear. Louis sighed, tipping his head back and closing his eyes as he undid his zipper and freed his cock, taking it into one hand and squeezing the base where his knot was already forming.

An alpha couldn't pop a knot unless they were in the presence of omega pheromones, so it had been a while since Louis had done this. He stroked himself with one hand and held back his knot with the other, finally allowing himself to surrender to the absolutely obscene images in his mind. The memory of Harry lying on the bed was as clear as day, skin covered in a delicious sheen of sweat, legs open wide so everything was on display.

It was weird to unite the two images of Harry he had in his mind, the independent twenty-five year old who felt fearless enough to wander New York City at night, and the needy omega writhing in bed, jumping at the storm and begging to be touched. Witnessing both sides of the same coin made each feel more intimate, like having a deep conversation with a hooker, or kissing your best friend.

He could hear Harry moving on the other side of the doors, the bed squeaking before he settled again. It was too soon for another wave of heat to hit, which meant he was probably drifting off to sleep right now. Instinct was urging Louis to return to his side and cuddle up against him, to cover him with his body and press him into the mattress so he was hidden and protected from the world.

As an alpha, Louis had a general urge to protect all omegas, but it didn't run very deep, and with Harry it was much more distinct. Louis was pretty sure it was less to do with the fact that he was an omega and more to do with the fact that he was this lighthouse of a person, this glowing ember of warmth and luminescence. Harry struck Louis as endearingly innocent, not in his sexual proclivities, but in what mattered, his values, his viewpoints, his reasons for existence. Despite his youth, he was hopeful, optimistic, still a proponent of following his dreams and cultivating a perfect life. While Louis couldn't necessarily endorse those same beliefs himself, he had to admit there was something appealing about Harry having this romantic, idealistic vision of a possible future.

This was not at all what he thought about as he stroked himself to orgasm while sitting on the floor in front of the bedroom doors. He thought about the moments prior, the omega in his bed, fingers twisting in the sheets because he was so overwhelmed. Because of Louis. He squeezed his knot with two hands, pulsing come all over himself, and tried to keep his groans to a minimum.

Harry was there, just beyond the door. He was safe and secure. He would be okay, even after Louis left. Everything would be fine. This was what he told himself, over and over, as he waited, unable to leave his spot guarding the door even to clean up and make himself decent before Niall arrived. Niall would just have to deal with it.