11

"Everything alright there?"

"Very alright," Harry said into the phone, licking his lip as he concentrated on stirring the pitcher of alcohol and fruit juice. He poured in the mashed up raspberries and mixed them in with a spoon, pleased. The drink was turning out nicely, tasting even better every time he had a sip.

"Are you mad at me?" Niall asked.

"No," Harry said, honestly. "Well, maybe. But not for the reason that you think."

"What is it, then?"

It wasn't that Niall was a little deceptive what he told Harry about Louis. It wasn't that he was sort of trying to set them up, or at least curious to see what would happen if they met. Harry didn't mind much at all. He would do the same for any friend. Harry loved matchmaking; it was one of his favorite pastimes.

"I just... Niall," he whined, stirring the drink harder. Ice clanked against the glass of the pitcher. "Help me."

"Help you what?" There was a bit of rustling on the other end of the line, and then Niall's voice became clearer. "Oh. Oh! Oh my god, Harry, really, is it that bad that you like him? Little omega Harry with his cold little heart, finally has a crush?"

"Shut up, shut up, I do not, I just- I want him to knot me up against the wall, or in bed, or something, I don't care, whatever, but he doesn't want to."

Niall was laughing. "And you've talked to him about this?"

"Yes! I offered this morning and he turned me down. Do you know how humiliating that is? How demoralizing? I want to die, Niall. I want to die."

"Calm down, pet, you're fine. I'm surprised, though. He really said no to you?"

"Yes," Harry cried, pressing his palms flat against the chilly countertop and watching condensation slide down the side of the pitcher. "He made it clear I'm only here because he feels bad for me—he wanted to give me a break from having to sell my body to gross old alphas like a prostitute. He thinks I'm a prostitute!"

Not that there was anything wrong with hustling by choice, but Harry was now almost certain Louis was only doing this because he pitied him.

"Sheesh, calm down, I know he doesn't think that. He's just a nice guy, he knows you and I are really good friends. He just wants to share his wealth. Is that a crime?"

Harry pouted. "How do you know if you like someone, Ni? Like really like someone?"

"You've known him, what, twelve hours? That's a bit too soon to decide how you feel about someone, H, especially for you. You never like anyone."

"Twenty hours, actually, I counted. And I know, but-"

"Stop freaking out. Enjoy your week in paradise with Louis and when it's over you can ask yourself the big questions. Stop overthinking, everything is fine."

There was a heavy silence. Harry pressed the heel of his palms to his eyes to preempt any tears that might've tried to escape. "He pities me."

"He doesn't. He's just trying to be a nice person, and he's giving into his alpha urges to care for pretty little omegas like you. Trust me on this one, H. I'm an alpha, I should know."

Harry sniffled a little too loudly. He couldn't remember the last time he cried, really cried. Not just because of stupid omega hormones, but because of something real.

"Are you... crying right now?"

"No." His emotions were really fucked up. He felt so clingy, desperate for Louis to come home. What was wrong with him?

"Jesus. Do you need me to come down there? Because I will, you know. I'll be there in a heartbeat."

"No, no- It's fine. I'm fine. Sorry. Uh, thanks for checking in on me. Everything's good here. I'm having fun." He pressed his palm, cold from holding onto the pitcher, against his cheek, and let it cool his heated skin. "Please don't tell him about this, if you talk to Louis, please-"

"I won't, pet, you know that. You're my best friend. I wouldn't do that to you. Personal stuff stays between us, always."

"Okay. Okay. Sorry..." Harry sighed, so grateful for Niall and how well he knew Harry. Niall was the best friend in the world, and he was so keen on knowing exactly what he needed to say to reassure Harry and make him feel safe and loved again. "I think I'm going to take a shower and then maybe nap for a little bit."

"Sounds good," Niall agreed. "Relax, Harry, you deserve it. And if you need me to send you any more soothers or anything, just say the word. I'll see you soon."

"Thanks."

"Bye, pet."

"Bye, Niall. Love you."

He ended the call and set his phone down on the counter, moving the pitcher to the fridge. It would be ready for consumption later. He wondered what would happen if Louis came home right now and saw him like this, wearing a thong in the kitchen and crying over something stupid. It was definitely a weird sight.

Harry groaned out loud, letting his frustrations seep out of him with the sound, and dragged himself up to the shower.