35

As soon as they got back home, Harry ran upstairs. Louis wasn't sure where he was going, but he was worried, because Harry had been silently crying during the drive and stopped speaking after Louis decided to hold his hand.

He followed him upstairs, watching as Harry stumbled down the hall, heading for the guest room. If anyone asked, Louis was following because he was worried about the omega, which was true, but his proclivity for trailing after him like a lost puppy might've also had something to do with the fact that he smelled absolutely irresistible.

The desire to bend him over the nearest surface was manageable right now, but in an hour Louis knew he'd be biting his knuckles trying to keep his self-control in check. The deeper Harry fell into heat, the more Louis' animal instinct insisted on taking over. There was a reason single omegas isolated themselves days before their heats began.

Harry was in heat. Louis still had yet to fully comprehend that little fact.

He turned the corner and followed the omega into the guest bathroom. Because he was worried. Harry was at the sink, counting the pills in his packet of suppressants. Something caught the corner of Louis' eye, and he turned toward the bathtub, to see... Not a bathtub.

"What's this," he whispered.

Harry gasped, slamming his pills down on the countertop. "You're not supposed to be in here!"

But Louis had already seen it, the bathtub full of blankets and pillows and clothes, everything entwined intricately into a neat and meticulous nest. And somewhere in the mess of his mind he had the stupid thought that of course Harry's nest would be perfectly neat and orderly.

"Hey, is that my-"

"Get out, get out!" Harry shoved him away, closing the door in his face.

Louis stood there, dumbfounded and trying not to lust after how overwhelmed and cute Harry looked. His skin was glowing with sweat, and his cheekbones glistened in the light. His face was rosy, his hair was ruffled, and the green of his eyes appeared darker due to his blown pupils. And his smell, god, it was intoxicating, but all that was going through Louis' mind was that he had to protect him.

"I counted them, and I didn't skip any pills. I think I need to call my doctor," Harry said through the closed door preventing them from engaging in a face-to-face conversation. "And it's not a nest."

Louis pressed the back of his hand against a private smile, just for him. "I didn't say it was a nest."

It was totally a nest.