12

"Ah, there you are. Nice hiding spot."

"Not hiding," Harry mumbled into the pillow clutched to his chest. He opened his eyes and smiled at Louis who took a seat beside him on what Harry thought of as a floating outdoor bed. He didn't know the technical term for the piece of furniture, but he did know that it was glorious.

Harry found it on one of the second floor balconies, and when his eyes landed on the firm mattress and fluffy pillows he nearly melted into a puddle. It was exactly what he needed, a comfortable, shady place to take a nap outside. The bed itself hung from the balcony above, so it swayed in the wind in a gentle rocking motion.

"Good day so far?"

"Mhmm, very good. Did some reading, took a walk on the beach." His voice was soft and deep from his drowsiness and he tried to clear it, sitting upright a little more but still lounging on the pillow. "How was work?"

"It was alright. A lot of contractual stuff, stupid posturing knotheads trying to get their way. Not my favorite."

"Mmm. Wanna talk about it?"

"Not really. Thanks, though. Can I get you anything? A drink?"

"I made a vodka cranberry mix, it's in the fridge," Harry said, casting his eyes down as he traced lazy shapes on one of the pillows. He was conscious of the way he was laying on the cushions, wearing only soft pink shorts and a loose tank top.

The tropical breeze was pleasant against his skin, the shade the perfect reprieve from the bright afternoon sun. His hair was still wet from his earlier shower, resting cool against his face. He hoped he looked pretty, hoped he looked appealing to the alpha beside him politely ignoring the way he was showing more skin than necessary.

"Sounds great," Louis said, disappearing to the kitchen.

When he returned, he had two glasses in his hands, and he gave one to Harry as soon as he sat up. He took a sip and complimented the omega, which made his heart swell stupidly.

They discussed their plans for dinner, deciding on the country club because apparently the food was good, it had a nice view of the ocean, and Louis would be able to show Harry around so he could go to the pool or the spa tomorrow if he wanted.

Their conversation wandered through topics and Harry was amazed by how easy it was to talk to Louis. Now that he knew he didn't have to act or play up his attraction to the alpha, it was much easier to relax and just have fun.

Louis was silly and easygoing, and he always had something to say. He was clear on the things he liked and didn't like, which was refreshing. Harry didn't have to guess his opinions on anything because he would just say them with conviction. They argued over social media and avocados and so many other topics, ending always in laughter.

It was the kind of genuine companionship Harry rarely found with alphas. His entire being was conditioned to be on high alert in the presence of an alpha, always aware of how he was being perceived. Sure, he had Niall, who was the only alpha Harry was actually close to, but it was different because they had been friends for years, and the fact that there was no attraction between them had been proven before.

They had tried getting together, actually, because it had seemed like the obvious choice when he and Niall got on so well. They went on one horribly awkward date and ended the night with laughter and the mutual decision to go back to being just friends.

Anyway, Niall was pining after another omega named Shawn. Shawn was a tall omega just like Harry, gangly and often overlooked by people who thought all omegas should be petite and demure. He was oblivious to how much Niall cared about him, and Harry wanted to tear his hair out with how frustrating the two were. They could be such a great couple, if only they got their shit together and realized the feelings of love and desire were one hundred percent mutual.