044. Aera's Dream

Serenity

Serenity.

That's what engulfed Aera's conscience as she sat still, hair flowing slightly with the occasional breeze that the wind sent her way.

"Are you paying attention?"

A melodic voice tumbled out softly. She pivoted her head to where the sound came from.

"Grandma?" Aera whispered. Her grandmother sat there next to her, face aglow with the golden sunrays.

"I need you to pay attention."

"Okay." The girl let out sheepishly, looking around in confusion.

It seemed to her that they were in the middle of a garden, judging by the tall trees surrounding them, green leaves dangling slightly. Not a sound could be heard and even her own breath seemed to die as soon as it left her mouth.

There was an eerie sense of tranquility. Everything was still, utterly still.

Her gaze gravitating back to her grandmother, Aera noticed how bright and splendid her outfit was. She was dressed in a long golden dress reaching the soles of her shoes, resembling a medieval gown. Standing tall as usual, she exuded a sense of power and royalty. She looked like she had walked straight out of a Renaissance painting.

"Is this a dream?" Aera asked quietly, observing as her grandmother reached a tea cup to her lips. When she lowered it back down to place it in her lap, Aera noticed it had been empty.

Strange.

"Not really." The older woman said, a subtle smile playing on her lips.

What followed was even more silence. Oddly enough, Aera felt even more tranquil. Sitting there in the quietness next to her grandmother didn't feel so bad, after all.

"Did I die?" another question rang in the air as the girl swung her feet idly. She had no idea why she would ask this question, she just felt like she had to. Why would she be dead?

"No, baby, you didn't die." Adara let out a soft chuckle, her long ringed fingers wrapped around the tiny cup.

"Oh, okay." Aera replied. For some inexplicable reason, the stillness didn't scare her. It just brought her comfort. She was glad to have a chance to spend more time with her grandmother.

Slowly, her gaze drifted somewhere in the distance. She felt free, as if up until now something had been weighing her down. Now, she was as light as a feather, ready to be taken away by the gentle wind.

"The fox wears red." Her grandmother suddenly uttered.

"Huh?"

"The fox wears red." Adara twirled to the side, a brief smile flashing across her face as her long black hair flowed gracefully with the motion.

"I see." Aera nodded, perplexed as ever. Fox? What fox?

The questions brew in her mind one after another, but for some reason she decided she wouldn't grant them release.