A Friendly Hand: Severus Snape

"James Potter if you do that one more time so help me—"

"What?" Seeing you, he quickly ran a hand through his hair.

You rolled your eyes.

"Put him down."

"But—"

You cut him off with a non-verbal spell, sending him backwards.

"Ouch! Blimey! Fine, I'll put him down!" He quickly turned to Sirius, who smiled mischievously.

"Lucky your girlfriend is here, aren't you Snivellus?" said Sirius, cocking his head to one side to get a better look at the boy in the air.

"She's not my—"

"You wanted me to put him down? Fine." smiled James.

There was a slight thud as the boy in the air became the boy on the floor.

"Are you ok, Severus?" You asked, taking his hand in yours and helping him to his feet.

"I'm fine." He said sheepishly, pulling a twig out of his black hair.

You quickly turned to James and grabbed him by his tie, pulling him towards you reluctantly.

"Do that again, I dare you."

And with that you shoved him, to where he fell onto the ground, his glasses askew.

"Come on, let's go." You said, wrapping an arm around Severus and glaring back at the Marauders.

"You didn't have to do that." He said quietly once you were back in the castle grounds.

"Oh, I did." You said, looking over his head for anyone wanting to cause trouble.

You steered him down a deserted corridor, not wanting to be overheard.

"Look, Severus, you've got to stand up for yourself."

"It's harder than it looks."

"Well, your lucky you've got a friendly hand."

"And who might that be?"

"Me, you big dork." You laughed.

"Why do you even help me? I've done nothing to help you."

"So? I like you, Severus, I guess that's all I can really say."

"You do?"

"Of course, I don't help people I don't like."

"You sound like a Gryffindor."

"I am a Gryffindor, so I'm going to take that as a compliment."

"Of course you are." He smiled, "What if Black—what if he can be right?" He mumbled.

"What do you mean?"

"About—about what he said."

"What he... oh." You gaped as his words sank in. "I guess... I guess he could be..."

And then it happened, Severus did something so bold it's a wonder he did it in the first place: he kissed you.

There was a moment where you didn't know what to do, but it was gone in almost an instant as you kissed him back.

. . .

*Ten Years Later*

"Why, tell me why in your right mind would you ever invite... them." Severus said, gesturing to where the Marauders were dancing like there was no tomorrow.

"Because, if it wasn't for their bullying, I don't think we would ever be here in the first place. Plus, Lily made the cake." You added, gesturing to the glorious wedding cake.

"Fine, I'll make an exception."

You laughed.

"Come on, they can be funny. I had them at my dress fitting."

"You what?!?!"

"What can I say," said James, wrapping an arm around your shoulder, "we've got good taste."

"More like a great sense of humor. You tried to make me buy that fish costume."

"Personally, I think it would match the ring." smiled Remus, coming up to join in the conversation.

"Your lucky she likes you, otherwise I'd have kicked you out."

"We'd find a way back in, Severus." said Sirius.

"They probably would." laughed Lily, standing by her husband.

"Hey, I think it's time to cut the cake."

"Ooh! Can I do it? Lily didn't let me near the knife at our wedding."

"Haha, but no, it's supposed to be me and Severus."

As you walked towards the cake hand in hand with your recently wedded husband, you glanced back over your shoulder.

"Would you have ever chosen one of us? Given one of us a friendly hand?"

"Absolutely not, you guys were complete gits in high school."

Severus smiled.