Sixteen: James Potter

"AHHH!!! Don't, James!" You shrieked with laughter, as he kept almost throwing you into the lake.

"Are you going to throw her in, or not? This is getting pretty boring, if you ask me."

"Shut up Sirius their having fun."

"If you think almost being thrown into a lake is fun, Remus, you do you."

"AAAAHHHH!!! James!!!" You screamed, and with a splash you both were in the icy water.

"Oh." said Sirius, tilting his head to get a better look at you both in the water.

"James!" You shouted, climbing up to the shore. "Your crazy!"

"I do pride myself on that fact."

You laughed and shoved him.

"So what was it you wanted to tell me?" You asked, accepting a towel from Remus.

"Oh yeah." James looked up at Sirius, gave him a 'you-can-go-now' look which made Sirius smirk.

"What?" You asked, wrapping the towel tighter around yourself as it got colder.

"Nothing." The three of them replied, quickly turning their guilty heads to face you.

"Yeah, ok, whatever." You said sarcastically. "It's not like you guys are ever not planning something, but yeah, whatever."

They laughed and Sirius and Remus waved you goodbye; leaving just you and James.

"So," You started, gazing out at the setting sun, "what was it you wanted to tell me?"

For the first time since you had known him, James looked nervous.

"Well, uh, I wanted to, umm, tell you that, uh..." He started to nervously twiddle his thumbs, looking down into his lap as if he couldn't bare to look into your eyes.

"Wait, did I do something wrong? Am I, like, not in your inner circle anymore?"

"No! No, never." He said, his head snapping up to face you.

"Then... what is it?"

"Can you... can you... ugh fuck it."

And he threw the towel off of him, cupped your face, leaned forward, and kissed you.
There was a millisecond of hesitation, before you sank into the kiss.

There was a dog bark, and you both pulled away to face it.

"I hate you, Sirius." James said, throwing a stick at it.

"I told him not to." said Remus, crossing his hands over his chest and coming out behind the tree where the dog was barking.

"Forget them." You said, waving a hand dismissively.

And you fell back into the kiss.

. . .

*Twenty Years Later*

"HARRY JAMES POTTER, GET BACK HERE RIGHT NOW!!!" You shouted to your son.

"Ooh, full name and everything. Your really in for it now."

"Sirius! Your not helping!"

"Are you sure?"

"Yes I'm sure! Your a totally irresponsible godfather!"

"That's the point, isn't it? Makes me look better."

"James!"

"Sorry, sorry. Harry, I think your mother wants to talk to you."

"Obviously." He said, sassy like his father... and mother.

"Where did you get this?" You asked, holding up a Firebolt.

"Uhh—"

"Birthday present. From me." Sirius smiled.

"I told you I don't want him flying around on this thing, it goes way too fast."

"I know, honey, but since he already has it..." James trailed, his love for Quidditch evident in his son.

"Oh, all right. But don't expect me to sit by your bedside with a glass of skele-grow."

"You heard your mother. Now, let's see how fast this can really go..."

"James!"

"Oh, fine." He leaned down to whisper into his son's ear. "We'll try it while she's at work."

You whacked him over the head.

"If you keep this up, he'll be worst than when you were at school."

"I don't think so," said Remus, "he's got Hermione, she's quite smart."

"Thank you." said Harry.

"Remus, Sirius, watch him on that broom." You said as they made their way outside.

"Jeez James, he looks just like you."

"Has his mother's eyes."

"He told me that everyone says that."

"Well, than everyone's right."

James leant down and kissed you, before you could think of a snappy retort.
You sank into this kiss, whispering, "Your lucky I love you, you didn't give me enough time to retort."

"That was the point."

And it felt like you were sixteen all over again.