Little Flower: Neville Longbottom

You took a deep, calming breath as the sun's rays warmed your skin, feeling the cool breeze blow before you could get too hot. You dug your bare hands into the soft dirt and started digging, turning around and delicately picking up a small little flower from your pot in the palm of your hands. You looked at it for a moment, before gently placing it into the earth and carefully evening out the soil around it. Once you were sure it was perfectly even, you conscientiously poured the water from your watering pot over it, making sure not to give it anymore or less than your previous flower. Afterwards, you took the small sign and thought of a name, and once you found the perfect one, you wrote the name on and put it just in front of your little flower.

"Welcome to my garden," You greeted, smiling, before you turned to the next plant. Planting was fun but boy was it tiring, especially for someone who was as attentive as you.

On your third or fourth plant, you realized that there was another flower, however it wasn't yours. You rummaged around in your pot, but there was no name tag or anything, so you assumed it was simply meant for you. You were grateful, of course, the gorgeous rose would be an excellent addition to your garden, but decided not to plant it as yet. It might've been someone else's, and you didn't want to risk that.

However after two or three more plants your garden was complete, with only the rose left. You sighed, not sure what to do, but started digging a place for it anyways. It just might be meant for you.

"Ow," you heard a wince from not too far behind you, and jumped due to the sudden break in the silence.

You turned and smiled when you saw Neville, your current herbology partner.

"I — I hope you don't mind, Neville," you stuttered nervously, "I just wanted to finish up. And I love to garden, so it was no task at all, if that's what you're worried about."

"Oh, that's fine, it's actually great. I was hoping you'd come."

"Well, I'm here." You smiled, and he smiled a goofy grin in return.

"The uhm, the rose." Neville said, pointing.

"Yep. It's beautiful, isn't it? But since it doesn't have a card or anything, I'm worried it might not be mine."

Neville flushed pink. He opened his mouth to say something but closed it, resembling somewhat of a goldfish.

"You can sit down, you know," you offered, moving over and patting the spot in the grass beside you.

Neville nodded and did some sort of nervous laugh, sitting awkwardly beside you as if he didn't want to intrude — but at the same time, he seemed delighted to of been there.

"I wonder who the rose is from, though, it'd be easy to just ask them to see if it's for me or if they simply didn't put it in the right plant pot." You wondered cluelessly.

"Um, about that,"

Your arms raised to your mouth and you covered it, masking your gasp. "It's from you?"

Neville tried to speak but his words got caught in his throat, so he simply nodded as he turned even redder than before.

"Your a true Gryffindor, you know, Neville." You smiled as you planted the rose.

"How so?"

"Look what you just did! Me? I wouldn't have even gotten a rose... or should I say I didn't..."

Neville chuckled, but he had no idea. You had always enjoyed the round-faced clumsy boy's company, but as you got older, you started to like him a little bit more than that. But you never found the confidence to admit it, so you kept quiet and hopeful. Now? It was a dream come true.

"I understand if you don't, er, like me like that..." He trailed, signs of former rejection.

You put an arm on his back and gave him a pat, maybe he was confident but certainly not in himself.

"I — wow — I really..." your voice went small, "I really like you, Neville."

He smiled, "I really like you too."

You didn't know what to do next. In movies and such this was the moment when they'd kiss but it seemed that that was much too big a step. None of you would make the first move and you sat there in the silence. But it wasn't an awkward one that felt long and heavy, but rather a light one, a comfortable one where your thoughts finally had some space to think.

"You know what you remind me of?" Said Neville, breaking the silence.

"What?" You asked, trying to keep the fright out of your voice. This could be anything.

"A flower. One like — one like the ones you've just been planting."

You glanced over at the multicolored flowers, small and dainty yet managing to live for so long.

"Why so?" You asked, hoping you weren't pushing too far.

"Well, although you may not have all the strengths that those other flowers have, you still have the resistance, and an equal chance. You strive to live on, and enjoy your life. Not to mention that, uh, your pretty like one too."

If it was possible, Neville went really rather red after that. So red, that he started to lean foreword with — maybe embarrassment? You couldn't tell. However once he closed his eyes your brain registered what was happening and you jumped, trying to make your lips meet his. You were nervous beyond words, hoping that you wouldn't mess this up. After all, it was your first kiss, the important one that everyone remembers and tells at sleepovers and parties and everything.

Neville's lips connected to yours. It was a weird sensation, one you had never felt before. Adrenaline kicked in and suddenly BAM! You knew how to kiss. It was instinct. The moment didn't last very long however it'd stay with you forever, and when you pulled away your faces were closer than they should've been.

Neville smiled at you and gently brushed a loose strand of your hair behind your ear, whispering, "Your my little flower,"

Your smile grew foolishly wide.