Just Another Muggle: Lily Evans

The bell rang marking the end to school day, the end to the entire school year. It was summer, finally, and you darted out of maths class faster than a cheetah. Your friends had left earlier for summer vacation, so you had no one to walk home with.

"Jesus!" You exclaimed, trying to catch your breath. Right outside your maths classroom had been Petunia, who laughed. You had — almost — forgot about her.

"Come on, your supposed to help me with my science project!" Petunia urged, taking hold of your arm and walking you to her house without even asking.

"That was due yesterday."

"I know! The plan was just to ignore it — I might be going to that boarding school my sister goes to next year — but she wasn't having it! She said I have to give it to her at the beginning of next semester, which is bullshit, because I might not even be here!"

Petunia talked in exclamation marks. You weren't sure if she knew how not to keep her voice down, because she always seemed to be shouting or screaming or squealing. It got really annoying sometimes. It was also really hard to catch a word of what she was saying, as she was always talking fast as if she feared being interrupted. You assumed it had something to do with her home situation, but you weren't sure. She always seemed to be content whenever you went over to her house.

"Anyways, you promised you'd help me so now is your time to shine!" Petunia squealed, fishing in her school bag — a hot pink thing dazzled in sequins and glitter — for her house key. Once she found it, she smiled to herself and opened the door to her house, letting you in.

You'd been to Petunia's house on a number of occasions; she was in your friend group (however you weren't really that close) and she was always up for a party, especially if she could organize everything. You never wanted to see her on one of her cleaning frenzies, she'd eat you alive.

She was halfway up the stairs when you called, "Hey, Petunia, who are these for?" You pointed you the ceiling, where a large welcome home banner was displayed, however you didn't catch the name.

"Oh, no one," Petunia reached up on her tiptoes, she was quite tall, and yanked them down, along with all the other welcome home decorations. When she was done, she went to her dad's office to shred them. "They're not important, not needed." She said, a bit of a scowl in her voice.

"Yeah, ok, whatever." You shrugged.

On her way to her room, Petunia 'accidentally' kicked the door beside hers, leaving yet another scratch, before going into her room.

She settled on the floor, taking out all her colorful pens and such as well as a trifold board before looking up at you and sighing. "Well come on, you lazy-ass, help!"

You crouched down on the floor beside her and took out your science book, looking for the easiest thing.

"Egg drop seems easy and fun," you said, "and plus, we've already done it in class, so we can just copy all the work."

"Seems like a plan," she smiled, adding, "there's a reason your my friend, after all."

That sentence sent shivers down your back. What did she mean? Was she only friends with you for your intelligence? It wasn't like you were top of the class or anything, but then again, this was Petunia, who copied off of Vernon Dursley before — Vernon, the literal dumbest kid in the class. But still, she probably didn't mean it like that... hopefully.

After copying out all the written work, it was time to do the experiment.

"Why can't we just use someone else's pictures?" Petunia whined, as you quickly tried to craft a safety net for your egg before giving up and tying the last un-popped balloon to it instead.