Chapter 13 ~ Demanding Answers

Kokichi's eyes snapped open, immediately eyeing his location. The room had the normal layout of all the others, with the exceptions of a couple space posters and a huge cardboard cut out of a space ship. It didn't take being a detective to know he was in Kaito's room. He attempted to stand only to find himself tied to a chair. Multiple scenarios went through his head as he tried to struggle out. There was no doubt in his mind that Kaito planned to kill him. Why wouldn't he? Kokichi is the reason that two friends are dead. And all Kokichi did was laugh it off. Obviously, this must have push Kaito over the edge with his patience for Kokichi. And now they're here.

The chair eventually fell over, Kokichi going with it. Despite his best efforts, there seemed to be no getting out of it. A sound suddenly came from the bathroom door, followed by the sound of flushing. Kaito ran out of the bathroom and to Kokichi, bringing the chair back up. To his surprise, Kokichi had real tears forming in his eyes The two stared at each other, both waiting for the other to say something. Finally, Kokichi spoke.

"Decided not to pay little Ms. Assassin to do your dirty work," he asked, trying to crack a joke and keep his mask on. But it was too late.

"Wait what," Kaito asked, giving a confused look.

"Unlike you, I'm not stupid. I know you're planning to kill me." He looked down.

Kaito's eyes widen. He truly hadn't realized how bad this looked. All he wanted to do was scare him. "Kokichi, I-" He stopped himself, realizing he could use this to get what he wanted. Trying to keep a serious face, he grabbed Kokichi's hair and pulled up, forcing Kokichi to look at him. Kokichi yelped as Kaito began speaking again. "Listen. Just tell me what I want to know, and I'll let you go."

Kokichi attempted a glare, wanting to refuse. But an image of Kaito strangling him came to mind, causing him to simply nod.

"First, why did you have Gonta kill Miu?"

"Seriously," Kokichi scoffed. "Weren't you listening during the trial? Miu was going to-" He pasued, recalling the memory of Mi chasing him, following by a new memory of her holding him down while Shuichi- "T-To..."

He went quiet as Miu tackled him to the ground on his way home from school. He knew what was going to happen. And that there was no escape. Not that he cared anymore. Or did he? There was a solution to his problem. But he was scared to agree to it. Because of that, he felt he had no one to blame but himself for the situation he is in. Before he knew it, he was picked up by Shuichi and carried away. He didn't want to remember the long month that followed after.

"Kokichi," Kaito shouted, snapping his fingers in front of Kokichi's face.

The small male yelled, flinching away as he came back to reality. His vision was blurry from the tears streaming down his cheeks. He struggled to calm his breathing, refusing to make eye contact with Kaito.

"Hey, calm down. What happened? You suddenly stopped talking and started crying."

"M-Miu," Kokichi stuttered, struggling to form words.

"Miu...? Oh god. What exactly did she do to you?"

Kokichi shook his head. "Y-You won't believe me or understand." He managed to key his voice as he made eye contact with Kaito. "Just kill me."

The room went silent, both males staring at each other. Kaito stared in disbelief while Kokichi showed nothing but seriousness. Kokichi knew fully well what he was asking. And meant it. These memories were killing him and causing nothing but trouble. So if Kaito truly planned on killing him, he accepted it.

Finally, the silence was broke by Kaito. "You can't be serious." His tone was one of anger and disbelief.

"For once, I am." Kokichi hung his head in defeat. "You don't know what I went through. Not that you would care."

"Excuse me? I care about everyone here! Including you."

"No. You don't. You just think you do."

"What? For christ sake! Explain yourself already!"

Kokichi sighed, looking up at Kaito and meeting his eyes. "Will you kill me afterwards?"

"No! I never was! Do I really seem like the type to kill-"

"Yes! Back then, you wanted me dead! N-Nearly snapped my neck!"

Shuichi had saved him that time. Not like it mattered. Passed off from one psycho to the next.

"What are you talking about," Kaito asked, getting closer to Kokichi. "I never planned on killing you. I was just trying to scare you for answers."

"Not back then-"

"Damn it!" Kaito stood up and kicked his own chair over. He was getting frustrated, about ready to actually snap Kokichi's neck.

Kokichi flinched, wanting to coward away in fear. He glanced over at the tiny camera on the wall, debating his next move carefully. "Okay. Seems it's either you kill me or the mastermind will." He sighed.

"Wha-"

"Shut up and listen for once. This is going to be hard to believe but everything you know is a lie."