Chapter 22 ~ A New Ally

🌿I'm running out of pictures-🌿

---

Shuichi tried to process everything, thinking over every memory he had perceived true. Kokichi turned slightly, Shuichi seeing the obvious fear in his eyes. There were obvious explanations for all this, such as Kokichi lying or this being a motive. Even so, as the two held eye contact, he felt the urge to believe it. He took a deep breath, sitting down on the bed. Words were heard but not understood from Kokichi, it being directed at Kaito, who was trying to move to the bed.

Kokichi put up a little fight, pleading for Kaito's help. But Kaito eventually made it, holding Kokichi close for comfort. This seemed to keep Kokichi as calm as possible but couldn't stop his shaking.

"Now, we need a plan before Tsumugi comes for us," Kaito said.

"Tsumugi," Shuichi gasped. "She's the-"

"Yeah yeah! We can all be shocked later. This isn't the time! You're the detective, so I'm sure you can prove it's her."

"It's not that simple," Kokichi said.

"Why? What will she do after being exposed?"

"Maybe re-erase out memories," Shuichi suggested. "Or make some kind of motive out of it." He looked at Kokichi, "If it isn't already."

Kokichi trembled at his gaze, shaking his head.

"Think about it. Tsumugi had plenty of chances to fix you. Instead, she let it continue. This is from you jumping out the window, right?"

Kokichi didn't answer looking away towards Kaito.

"At first," Kaito said. "But she gave them all back when she took him.

"K-Kiibo," Kokichi mumbled.

"Huh?"

"Poor Kiibo..."

"What happened to Kiibo," Shuichi asked. "He seemed fine, last I saw him."

Once again, Kokichi didn't answer, staring up at Kaito. It was seconds before Kaito realized what he wanted, realizing the question.

This time, Kokichi answered. "He lost c-control. She controls h-him now." He sniffled, recalling some good memories of himself, Kaede, and Kiibo.

"Stay focus," Kaito said. "We'll save him too."

"Could I ask something," Shuichi asked. "About his memories?"

All eyes were on Kokichi, waiting for his reply. Well, more like a reaction. But none came. Kokichi remained completely still, refusing to give an emotion. It was almost like he wasn't there.

"Kokichi," Kaito asked.

Still, no response.

Kaito looked back at Shuichi. "Here. Tell me and I'll try asking him."

Shuichi nodded. He decided to start small before working his way up. "Is this how his original personality was?"

"Oh! Actually, it is."

"Okay. How long have you know about all this, Kaito?"

Kaito shrugged. "Not that long. I found out a bit after the trial when I confronted him."

"You knocked me out and brought me here," Kokichi said, startling the two.

"Kaito," Shuichi said in annoyance.

"I needed answers," Kaito shouted in defense. He immediately calmed down at feeling Kokichi flinch. "Sorry. I didn't know it would have been that easy."

"N-Next question, please," Kokichi said, turning to look away.

Shuichi hesitated before asking, "What was I like back then?"

It was one of the questions he was most curious about but also scared to ask. Obviously, by Kokichi's reactions, it wasn't anything good. Yet he couldn't help asking.

Kaito didn't get a chance to re-ask before Kokichi answered.

"Y-You're one of the worst people o-out of them all." His voice was dark yet fearful, clinging tighter to Kaito.

"Oh..." Shuichi couldn't say he was surprised but hurt nonetheless. He couldn't handle the thought of traumatizing someone to this extent.

"I-I... might explain after everything is over. But Tsumugi c-could get here any second now!"

"No. She would have been here already. She is definitely planning something."

Just as he finished his sentence, an announcement came on the screen.

---

🌿Someone get me some time management skills.🌿