Chapter 21 ~ Chaotic Fear

Kokichi screamed in fear, finally managing to escape Kaito's grasp and hide under the bed. He wouldn't stop screaming, making Kaito even more panicked. Kaito hesitates before making a move, questioning why Tsumugi would be knocking instead of opening it herself. There were other possibilities but all lead to her getting caught, including this one. Quieting Kokichi down, Kaito began heading to the door and slowly opening it. He let out a breath of relief, happily greeting Shuichi.

"Hey, Kaito," Shuichi started, his voice uneven. "Is Kokichi still here? Monokuma has been going on about something..."

Kaito gave a confused look, stepping back a bit to let Shuichi in. "What is it saying?"

"It was hinting at a murder. And you two were the only ones missing. I wanted ot make sure everything was okay." Shuichi took slow steps forward, looking around cautiously.

Kaito tensed at the realization, wondering what the bear's next move would be. He closed the door and turned to Shuichi, who took notice of the broken camera. "Kokichi's fine. Well, for the most part."

Shuichi gave a suspicious glace around the room. "Where is he?"

"He's hiding. I don't think he's going to come out, though."

"Why?" Shuichi was quick to investigate, opening the closet door.

"It's a long story." Kaito crossed his arms, trying to seem as normal as possible.

There was no response, just endless searching. Though Kaito hoped he'd stop, Shuichi left no stone unturned, eventually stumbling across Kokichi. There was a couple silent moments before Kokichi screamed, backing out from under the bed. Shuichi sprung up, running across the bed and grabbing Kokichi.

Chaos seemed to erupt, Kokichi screaming and kicking; Shuichi trying to calm him down and questioning what was wrong; Kaito trying to separate them and explain everything. Minutes passed of the same rinse and repeat process. But all came to a stop as Kokichi got loose, grabbing the space ship cut out and raising it for defense. Shuichi stepped back, looking to Kaito for help.

Kaito stepped between them, saying, "We all need to calm down!"

"G-Get him out of here," Kokichi yelled. "I can't d-do this again! Please, Kaito. Y-You said you wouldn't l-let him!" Kokichi began to sob, struggling to keep hold of the cardboard.

"I did?"

"Let me what," Shuichi asked, slightly raising his voice.

"S-Stop it," Kokichi shrieked. "Stop acting innocent! I-I hate it. I hate you!"

Shuichi was stunned, another step back. "Kokichi-"

"No!"

"Kokichi," Kaito shouted, silencing them both. "It's not him, Kokichi! That Shuichi is gone. This one won't hurt you."

Kaito walked over to Kokichi, instantly being hugged. Shuichi tried to ask questions but they went unnoticed.

"P-Please," Kokichi mumbled. "Don't let him take me a-again."

"He won't," Kaito said, trying to keep his voice calm. "Remember, these aren't the same people."

"But... w-what if they remember too?"

"They don't. You're the only one going through this. And he could probably help."

"H-Help?"

Kaito turned a bit, taking Kokichi with him. Shuichi gave them both a confused and worried expression. He wasn't sure what he was expected to do, staying in place.

"Shuichi," Kaito said. "This is all going to sound crazy but our memories are lies. Everyone here was different, before this killing game. But long story short, Kokichi remembers and is now in danger."

---

🌿Little shorter than usual. Sorry.
Also, while I was trying to publish this, wattpad got glitchy. So tell me if it accidentally uploaded twice.🌿