Chapter 23 ~ Now Or Nothing

Everyone had been called to the gym for a special announcement. The trio knew exactly what it was about. Well, what caused it. Tsumugi was ready to cover her tracks. How she would do it was still a mystery but they knew they'd need to act fast.

The trio rushed to the meeting place, earning a shocked expression from everyone. All eyes were on Kokichi, who was holding Kaito's hand. Maki immediately walked over, no expression on her face. This only increased everyone interest, wanting to know what exactly was going on with the two males.

"Where have you been," Maki asked Kaito, still showing no emotion. "Monokuma said something about a murder and you haven't left your room in a while."

"It's a long story," Kaito said.

Maki turned her attention to Kokichi, narrowing her eyes. "And what is he doing?"

Kokichi had been looking towards the ground, trying his best to stay calm. But everyone's eyes on him struck fear into him, knowing they took notice of this change.

"Another long story," Kaito said, pulling Kokichi behind him. "But there's something everyone should know."

A familiar laugh echoed through the gym, everyone's attention going to the stage. Monokuma soon popped out.

"It seems everyone is here," Monokuma said, looking around the room. "Well, everyone but one."

That's when the trio noticed a certain blue hair girl was missing.

"Where's Tsumugi," Shuichi asked, taking a step forward.

"That was for you to find out! And I'm starting to get impatient."

Everyone looked at each other, hoping someone understood. It didn't take long for Shuichi to find out.

"Murder," Shuichi mumbled, eyeing the bear suspiciously.

"You have the next hour to find the body and begin investigation. After the hour is over, the class trial will begin."

"What if we don't find the body," Himiko asked, fear in her voice.

"That changes nothing! Someone is dead and you must find the culprit. If you're lucky, the killer left a clue."

And with that, the robotic bear disappeared.

Time seemed to freeze as Shuichi stared off at the empty stage. He had been so busy finding Kokichi, he neglected to give a thorough search around the school. However, he recalled Tsumugi there when Monokuma eluded to a murder. This obviously wasn't what it meant. And if Tsumugi was the mastermind, the killing game would end if she died. Yet Monokuma was still functionable.

Shuichi finally snapped out of his thoughts upon hearing voices. It was Maki and Kaito's. They had continued the conversation as if Monokuma hadn't said anything important. Shuichi instantly spun around, grabbing Kaito's arm and bolting out. This shocked everyone. Especially Kokichi as he was almost knocked over. Shuichi dragged the two away from the others, making sure on one followed.

"We're not gonna find the body," he said, slowing down to catch his breath.

"Because she's not dead," Kaito asked.

"Well, yeah. But also because she isn't in any of the accessible areas. Most likely, she's behind the hidden door in the library."

Kokichi gasped, finally speaking. "W-When I was in there, I r-recall a staircase."

"You think she has another entrance?"

Kokichi froze for a second, realizing he was speaking directly to Shuichi. Slowly, he nodded. "B-But I don't know w-where it leads..."

"Then we better start looking," Kaito said, letting go of Kokichi. "Kokichi and I will look together in the school. Go back to the others and catch them up."

Shuichi nodded, running back towards the gym. Kaito simply picked Kokichi up and began running. Surprisingly, Kokichi seemed more calm like this.

"Got any ideas where it might be? You know the show better than the rest of us."

"N-No," Kokichi said, looking down. "They're always in different places."

"Damn it! How does that stupid bear expect us to find her?"

"S-Sometimes, the mastermind breaks the r-rules and does an unsolvable murder. One m-meant to frame someone."

Kaito stopped in his tracks. "Shit! That's probably what Tsumugi is doing. One of us is probably going to get framed and executed."

"Oh..." His lack of emotion earned a confused look.

"Oh? What do you mean 'oh'? One of us could die!"

"B-But... what if I was the only one e-executed?"