Chapter 24 ~ Repeated Past

Kaito didn't even let Kokichi finish that thought before punching him in the stomach, sending Kokichi stumbling backwards.

"Don't even think about it," Kaito shouted.

Kokichi couldn't stop coughing, struggling to look up at Kaito. His eyes were wide with fear, tears starting to form. Memories flashed through his mind, ending with the bloody scene of Kaito committing a murder.

"I-I can't," Kokichi cried. "K-Kaito..."

"No! I don't care what happened in the past. You're moving past it! You can't just end your life."

"S-Stop..." Kokichi stumbled back more. "Not a-again. You're d-different..."

Kaito gave a puzzled look, slowly walking towards Kokichi. "That's not-"

"S-Stay back!" Kokichi was trembling, looking around for any possible help.

"Wait a second! I'm just trying to make you understand."

"I-I did understand! I do! P-Please... no more..."

Kaito stopped, trying to understand what Kokichi just said. "Kokichi... I wasn't trying to hurt you like he did."

"Y-You weren't?" Despite Kaito stopping, Kokichi continued walking back. "Then... t-then why did you-"

"It's something I do without thinking. I'm sorry. I won't hit you again!"

Kokichi's heart stopped, a scene replaying in his head. Kaito had Kokichi cornered, a strangely soft smile on his face as he said almost all those exact same words. The words Kokichi accepted. 

But not this time. Kokichi regained control of reality, wasting no time turning around and running off. He ignored Kaito's shouting, only taking notice of the following footsteps.

He took some twist and turns, going around the school a couple times. The shouting seemed slightly farther as time went on. This time, Kokichi took a different turn and waited things out, using the time to catch his breath. Without fail, Kaito ran past the area, giving Kokichi some more time.

Standing there, he tried to clear his thoughts and plan his next more. There wasn't much time before Kaito would come back around, possibly noticing him. He scanned the area, hoping for a way out. That's when he noticed the small speck of liquid making a path on the ground. It was easy to miss, if you were rushing around. 

He waited for Kaito to pass again, holding his breath in anticipation, before following the spots of pink to see were they'd lead. It didn't take long to find the source, the path ending in front of the girl's bathroom. He had no time to hesitate, hearing footsteps coming back around, and rushed into the bathroom.

The sight before him made him freeze in place, eyes wide in fear. The whole place was covered blood, from the floor to the walls. But no body was in sight. Kokichi took careful steps forward, trying not to slip. He looked around for a body, scared to see who died. Still, there wasn't one. It didn't make sense, until Monokuma's words came back to him. He began searching again, realizing what the clue was actually for. 

There must be more to this, Kokichi thought.

He suddenly froze, hearing the bathroom door open and close. Slowly turning around, he saw Kiibo in the doorway, eyes glowing a bright blue.

"K-Kiibo," he called out, taking a step back. "P-Please don't tell me you're-"

He got no chance to finish that sentence before Kiibo charged at him. Barely managing to dodge, Kokichi slipped and collided into the wall. He quickly regained balance, watching Kiibo fall to the ground. Without thinking, Kokichi ran at Kiibo, tackling to keep him down. 

The two slid across the ground, running into another wall and being bounced back. Kiibo attempted to get up, flipping Kokichi over so he was on the bottom. Kokichi head butted Kiibo, just hurting himself in the process. Looking around, he got an idea and pushed the both of them towards the sinks. Upon hitting another way, Kiibo fell off, giving Kokichi a chance to recover. Kokichi grabbed him by the hair and rammed his head into the sinks, loud bangs echoing throughout the room.

It wasn't until Kiibo stopped moving that Kokichi stopped, standing up and backing away. He was breathing heavily, his mind taking time to process everything. Kiibo didn't move, starling Kokichi into a realization.

"K-Kiibo," Kokichi asked, taking a cautious step forward.

Kiibo twitched, startling Kokichi into stepping back. A noise came from the wall before the sink fell down on the edge of Kiibo's head.