Epilogue

Kiibo, Kokichi, and Kaede sat up on the roof top of a building. Down below were many cars, zooming past with somewhere to be. Kokichi watched them with fear, scared one might be a cop ready to drag him back. Though he would finally be let go today, he didn't feel like leaving.

Three weeks ago, back on his first day of school, he never would have thought he'd be in this situation. He was use to getting kidnapped but it was never anything like this. Ever since he went missing, life had become easier than ever before. Kaede and Kiibo weren't like other people. Sure, they still liked Danganronpa, but they weren't really violent. A year ago, the two ran away from home. They were brother and sister, non biologically. Both raised by the grumpy and neglectful Professor. No news about their disappearance ever came. So they continued being on the run, finding ways to get what they wanted.

Which, surprisingly, included Kokichi.

Kiibo had developed an interest the first time he saw Kokichi. No one really knew why. Kaede suspected a glitch in his system. But as they sat here, staring at the world from above, Kokichi was glad for it.

"You should probably get going," Kaede said, putting out a lit cigarette. "Or not," Kiibo quickly added.

Kiibo wanted Kokichi to join them, begging Kaede to let him come. The agreement ended up being that it's Kokichi's choice. Despite Kokichi preferring life with them, he began to feel like a burden. There was no way he'd be able to handle their lifestyle and contribute to it. So this was their last day. After today, the two would leave town.

Kokichi gave the same answer, looking further down. Kiibo sighed, pulling Kokichi close in a back breaking hug. It seemed the robot would never let go, agitating Kaede into shouting at him. Kiibo slowly let go, giving Kokichi a strange looking phone. It was only connected to Kiibo and to be used if he changed his mind or just wanted to talk. It was something the Professor had made for himself that they took when they left, not wanting to have any contact with him.

"And then y-you both left," said Kokichi, paying close attention to Kiibo's reactions, hoping for any indication that he remembered. He never did.

The two sat on the roof of Kaito's house, as they usually did every Sunday. It had been a little over two months since they escaped the killing game and two had developed a Sunday tradition. Kiibo would always come over to listen to Kokichi's memories.

"Why didn't you go," Kiibo asked. "You went through a lot. Didn't you want to escape?"

"O-Of course! But... I-I didn't want to be aburden. So I e-endured it."

"That's..."

"Besides, Shuichi eventually d-destroyed it..."

"Of course." Kiibo sighed, patting Kokichi on the back. "Is that the end of our memories?"

Kokichi shook his head. "T-There is one more thing. The killing game messed u-up at first and we were in the s-same room. But... I'll tell you next time. K-Katio will get mad if I'm gone to l-long."

"No, he won't Remember, he is different."

Kokichi nodded but didn't seem convinced. "D-Different..."

"Still scared? I thought Kaito was going to have you see a therapist?"

"He was... But they're j-just as insane as everyone else. The way they d-do things isn't how you all remember. So he's trying to figure t-things out on his own."

Kiibo bodded in understanding. "Well, hopefully one day you'll feel comfortable leaving this house."

One of the suggestions his friends made was to leave the house. Preferably, live with someone else. It was tempting but felt too much like escaping. For now, it's all about baby steps.

The two stood up and said their goodbye. Kokichi instantly went looking for Kaito, finding him watching TV on the couch.

"I-I'm sorry I took so long," Kokichi mumbled, sitting closely next to him.

"Don't apologize," Kaito said, patting him on the back. You were out there longer today. I'm proud of you!"

Kokichi felt himself begin to relax. Kaito encouraged Kokichi to take all the time he needs. He wasn't quite sure if he could fix this. But he'd try.

"I was thinking, maybe you should try a sleepover? Spend the night at someone else's place to try to get use to not being around me. And I promise I won't get mad."

Kokichi shook his head, looking away. "Not yet... B-Besides... who knows what g-goes on at their houses..."

"What do you mean?"

"Well... things never w-went well in the past when I'd visit people's houses."

"Did they do something to you? Who were they?" Kaito was trying his best to know fully what Kokichi went through, hoping it might make finding an answer to fix it sooner.

"W-Well, you, for one. You threatened me to come over and... I-I walked in on you... k-killing someone." Kokichi began shaking, slightly moving away from Kaito. "Apparently, y-you planned that. You hoped I might be a k-killer deep down and might help you... s-sorry I disappointed you..."

Kaito went silent, processing all that. He was fully aware he use to be a killer, but it still shocked him imagining it. He was also aware something even worse must have happened after that. He learned just awful he had been to Kokichi and everyone else around him, reminding him that fixing Kokichi wouldn't come easily. But he wasn't giving up yet. Not that he had a choice, since Kokichi was quite clingy.

He sighed, bringing Kokichi closer in a comforting hug, making sure they were slow movements as to not startle Kokichi. The two laid like that, staring blankly at the TV though not actually paying attention to it. There was too much to think about to ever truly relax and enjoy their free life. Minutes passed before Kokichi moved away, looking up at Kaito.

"I-I love you," Kokichi mumbled. "And I mean this y-you."

"We'll see about that," Kaito replied, seeing it as Kokichi's fear talking. But in all honestly, Kaito kind of felt the same.

---

🌿Woooooo we are done! Not gonna lie, I kind of want to make a second book about their life after. I've already got ideas but no basic premise yet. Though I'm pretty sure I'll end up making a second one. But anyways, thank you all for reading. I had hoped this book would've been done forever ago, but life just doesn't work like that. Thanks for dealing with my BS of disappearing. Tell me what you all would think of a second book. And, again, if anyone would like to play animal crossing new horizons with me, message me. :D I need friendsssssss-🌿